|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 8918|
|Office:||623 Dunton Tower|
Recent Courses Taught:
- Advanced Theory for Social Work Practice:Social Policy
- Social Administration and Policy
- Housing Policy
- Social Policy Analysis
- Poverty and Anti Poverty Policies
- History of the Welfare State in Canada
- Social administration, particularly the administration of social assistance
- Federal/Provincial relations and social welfare
- Aboriginal peoples and social welfare
- “The Federal Government and the Dream of Home Ownership for Low Income Households: the Assisted Home Ownership Program,” with Andree Germain, in Wealth and Well-Being, Ownership and Opportunity: New Directions in Social Policy for Canada, Edited by Jennifer Robson and Peter Nares, Social and Enterprise Development Innovations, 2006, 102-118.
- “Disability Supports and Service in the Social Union,” Federalism and the Social Union eds. Harvey Lazar and Allan Puttee, School of Policy Studies, Queens University, 2003. With Roy Hanes.
- Recent Briefs and Presentations to Government Committees and Commissions:
- Brief to the City of Ottawa Task Force on Housing and Homelessness, Ottawa, March, 2006
- “Trends in United Way Revenues and Expenditures, 1995-2001,” Co author of a Discussion Paper on The United Way/Centraide in Ottawa, Prepared for the Network of United Way Community Partners, 2001.
- “From the Council of Social Agencies to the Social Planning Council: Seventy-Five Years of Social Planning in Ottawa,” Social Planning Council of Ottawa, June 2003.
Recent Positions Held:
- Canadian Review of Social Policy, (CRSP/RCPS) Member of the Editorial Board, 2006-07, 2007-08.
- Chair of the Organizing Committee, for a national conference on Poverty in the Jewish Communities of Canada, held in Ottawa, November 2005. Close to 100 participants from across Canada.
- Chair, Association of Jewish Family and Child Agencies, Canadian Branch, 2004-05, 2005-06, Member of the Executive, 2006 – Founding chair of the Canadian Branch.
- Member, Executive Committee, and Member, Board of Directors, AJFCA, (North America.), 2004-06.
- Jewish Federation of Ottawa, Member of the Board of Directors, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-2006, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
- Jewish Federation of Ottawa, Chair, Planning and Allocations Committee, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08 Development and implementation of a new system of allocations of community funds.
- United Way Community Agencies, Member of Steering Committee, 2001-02.
- United Way, Nominations Committee, Member, Spring, 2001, 2003, 2004
- Social Planning Council of Ottawa-Carleton, Member of Board of Directors, June 2000- 2004; Chair, Research Committee, 2001- 05
Selection of Recent Presentations:
- “Workfare in Ontario,” Presentation to the JDC-Myers_Brookdale Institute, Jerusalem, Israel, March 2007
- “Poverty and Welfare in Ontario,” Presentation for the 1st Year Experience Office, Carleton University, November 2006.
- “The Conservatives and First Nations in Canada,” Presentation to Groups of representatives of Quebec First Nations, First Nations Education Centre, Quebec, June and August, 2006.
- “Poverty in the Jewish Communities of Canada,” Chair and Copresenter of a Session at the AJFCA Conference, San Jose, California, April 2006
- “Report of the Allocations Committee, “ Presentation to the Officers of the Jewish Community Council of Ottawa, and to the Executive of the Jewish Community Council of Ottawa, April 2006, May 2008.
- “Poverty in the Canadian Jewish Community,” Presented at a Panel on Poverty at the First meeting of the Association of Jewish Family and Child Agencies –Canadian Branch, November 2005
- “The Demographics of the Ottawa Jewish Community,” Presented to a public meeting of the Ottawa Jewish Federation, November 2005
- “The Anti-Poverty Program of Jewish Family Services,” Workshop Presentation, Calgary Jewish Community Centre, September 2004.
- “Poverty in the Calgary Jewish Community and some lessons from Ottawa,” Calgary Jewish Family Services, September, 2004
- “The Anti-Poverty Program of Jewish Family Services,” Workshop Presentation, at the Association of Jewish Family and Child Agencies, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, April 2004.