Bachelor of Social Work Admission Information
The admissions cycle for fall 2020 is now closed. Our next admissions cycle will be for fall 2021 and will open at the end of this year.
BSW Applicant Evaluation Criteria
- All applicants should have a minimum average of 75% overall whether applying from high school, college, or university (Carleton included)
- Amount and quality of human service/social change work or volunteer experience
- Essay question responses
- All applicants must also meet Carleton University’s minimum admission requirements. Please visit the Undergraduate Admissions website to review these requirements.
- While a police records check is not requested as part of the application to the program, it may be required for current BSW students on Practicum. For more information on the School’s police record check policy, please visit: https://carleton.ca/socialwork/note-on-police-records-check/
- Students must complete two placements in order to meet degree requirements for the BSW (some students may receive transfer credit for the first of these placements, depending on completed education). Most placement opportunities are unpaid. For more detail on current practicum policies, please visit: https://carleton.ca/socialwork/practicum-hub/bsw/
- Please review the Essential Requirements for the Bachelor of Social Work
- February 1: Online Application Deadline
All applicants must apply online by February 1.
Current or previous Carleton University students (in any program) must apply online through the Internal Application for Admission in Carleton Central.
All other applicants must apply online through the Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC).
Please navigate to your relevant link to receive instructions on how to apply.
- March 1: Supplementary Application Deadline
Once an applicant has submitted their completed online application, they will be e-mailed a copy of the Supplementary Application and their Carleton applicant number.
All applicants must send a completed hard copy of the BSW Supplementary Application to the School of School Work by March 1. If the first of March falls on a weekend or holiday, Supplementary Applications must be received by the next regular working day.
Applications should be sent in their entirety and should not be emailed to the School.
Please follow the instructions found in the BSW Supplementary Application Guidelines.
If you experience any barriers to completing or submitting your Supplementary Application, please contact the Undergraduate Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants must complete both the online application and the Supplementary Application in order to be considered for admission.
Prospective BSW Student Webinars – Recorded April 2020
Due to the large number of applicants each year, the School of Social Work does not personally confirm receipt of your Supplementary Application. You are able to track your application status in Carleton Central to see if all documents have been received. Please note that your status will not update immediately upon receiving your Supplementary Application.
Questions about transcripts should be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
Applicants will be able to see their admission decision in Carleton Central once it has been released. Decisions typically begin to appear in late April, however timing may vary from year to year.
All admission decisions are final. The School of Social Work does not have an appeals process for unsuccessful applicants, however we do encourage all interested applicants to apply again the next year.
Year of Entry
Each year, we admit students into the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years of our program, depending on what, if any, transfer credit(s) are awarded from applicants’ previous post-secondary studies.
Our BSW Handbook outlines suggested course sequencing by year of entry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you want more information?
Please contact us at:
School of Social Work
509 Dunton Tower
Tel: (613) 520-5601
Or email: Megan Stansel at email@example.com