1. Visiting or Special Students
  2. University of Ottawa Exchange Agreement
  3. Letters of Permission
  4. Summer Residence
  5. English as a Second Language Requirement (ESLR)

Visiting or Special Students

Special students are those who have not been admitted to a degree program at Carleton University but who are taking degree-credit courses to qualify for admission, for professional development, for transfer credit, or for personal interest.

New special students must complete an application to register as a special student. Applications are available online.

A non-refundable application fee is required at the time of application.

NOTE: Although September is the normal point of entry for new undergraduate students each year, some individuals may also be admitted in May and July. Those wishing to begin their undergraduate studies in the summer term may register as special students while their application for admission to the summer or the following fall/winter term is pending. Individuals who are in doubt about their eligibility for undergraduate admission are encouraged to inquire with Admissions Services, 315 Robertson Hall.

University of Ottawa Exchange Agreement

Due to the current Public Health crisis, applications for the University of Ottawa exchange will be handled electronically. A fillable PDF form (PDF 99KB) has been developed for the Outgoing Carleton exchange applicants. To complete the form, please follow these steps:

  1. Download the form (available at the link above)
  2. Save the blank form to your files
  3. Complete the form with the requisite information
  4. Save the completed form
  5. eMail the completed form to registrar@carleton.ca from your cMail account, and include a link to the University of Ottawa course description for each course listed

The date of registration for University of Ottawa undergraduate students studying at Carleton University during the summer session is to be confirmed, but it is anticipated for mid-April, 2021.

NOTE: Carleton students participating in the University of Ottawa exchange must ensure that they do not register in course timetable conflicts.

Letters of Permission

Carleton undergraduate students who wish to take courses at another institution must apply for a Letter of Permission through the Registrar’s Office well in advance of registration; see the Letter of Permission webpage for full details.

Students from other universities attending Carleton on a Letter of Permission register as special students. In order to register for courses, students must apply for special student status.  Students should include a copy of their letter of permission with the application.  Registration for courses begins March 29 via Carleton Central.

Summer Residence

Do you need somewhere to stay while studying at Carleton this summer? Carleton University offers long-term summer residence (minimum of 30 nights) for active Carleton students wishing to register in courses or live on campus throughout the summer. Visit the Housing and Residence Life Services website for full details.

English as a Second Language Requirement (ESLR)

Students whose native language is not English will be required to meet the University English as a Second Language Requirements (ESLR).  Questions, including those on how to register, should be directed to the School of Linguistics and Language Studies.