The EDC is pleased to announce the five outstanding Teaching Assistants (TAs) who have been named recipients of the 2017-2018 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award. The awards celebrate the support TAs give to the undergraduate programs in their disciplines, their roles in establishing a positive learning environment, and their work in implementing innovative teaching practices.
There were almost 200 TAs nominated, many with strong supporting evidence, which made for a very difficult selection process. The awards committee was impressed with the strength and versatility of the nominations as well as Carleton TAs’ dedication to enhancing student learning. After much deliberation, the following five TAs were selected as this year’s recipients of the award:
- Parham Emami (FPA) – Political Science
- William Hipson (FASS) – Psychology
- Monirosharieh Vamegh (FED) – Systems and Computer Engineering
- Tristian Marsman (FASS) – English
- Betsaleel Joseph (SPROTT) – Sprott
Each was awarded a certificate at a private luncheon on April 16 as well as $250 for their commitment to improving student learning.
Because we received so many strong nominations, the committee also wanted to recognize and celebrate five additional TAs through honourable mentions. Each received an official letter that recognized their achievement. The following TAs were selected as honourable mentions for the award:
- Janna Klostermann (FASS) – Soc/Anth
- Sharman Piper (FASS) – Music
- Anastassia Gharib (FED) – Systems and Computer Engineering
- Alberto Temprano (FED) – School of Architecture and Urbanism
- Joseph Botros (FED) – Electronics
Congratulations to all recipients, honourable mentions, and nominees for the 2017-2018 Outstanding Teaching Assistant Awards and Departmental TA Awards, and thank you to the nearly 300 students, peers, and instructors who took the time to recognize the fine work of Carleton’s TAs!