The Preparing to Teach certificate is a blended program specifically designed to help PhD candidates prepare for the teaching components of a career in academia. This 10-week program, which consists of weekly 2-3 hour meetings plus a significant weekly online component, allows participants to gain hands-on experience with a range of teaching and assessment methods, to learn how to manage both large and small classes, and to address teaching and learning issues particular to their disciplines. Although informed by theory, the focus will be on teaching practice. Participants will develop new course materials and try out various teaching approaches within a supportive peer cohort.
The next cohort of PTT will run on Wednesday afternoons from September 25th until December 4th (excepting Reading Week), 2019. Class meeting #1 and #10 will be three hours long (1-4pm); class meetings #2 – 8 will be two hours long (1-3pm); and the mircoteaching experience (week 9) will be approximately 3 hours long, at a time of your choice. To register, complete the form below.
*Please note: Participation in the certificate is ineligible for FGPA paid teaching assistant training.
By the end of this program you will be able to:
- Design a syllabus for a first-year undergraduate course in your discipline that exemplifies the principles of constructive alignment
- Construct a lesson plan and plan and deliver a teaching demonstration (microteach) that implement learner-centred approaches
- Articulate a personal philosophy of teaching that adheres to the genre features characteristic of a “teaching philosophy statement” and which is informed by educational theory
To earn the certificate, participants are expected to:
- Arrive on time
- Actively participate in ALL* sessions, both online and face-to-face
- Complete all online learning modules
- Provide constructive feedback to your peers, online and face-to-face
- Complete the required readings
- Prepare and submit all 3 assignments by the indicated due dates
- Assignment 1: Annotated Course Syllabus
- Assignment 2: Lesson Plan, Microteaching Demonstration, & Microteaching Reflection
- Assignment 3: Teaching Philosophy Statement
* Note: This program is based on a high degree of interactive learning; absences from class meetings or failures to complete the online learning modules will affect your ability to contribute to forthcoming sessions. If you miss one session, you must contact the facilitator immediately so that an alternative assignment/activity can be negotiated. If for any reason you are absent from two sessions or fall behind on two of the online modules, you will be removed from the program.
Before you apply, please consider the following exemptions.
- Candidates who have already taught a course are ineligible for PTT. These individuals are encouraged to apply to the Certificate in University Teaching, which has been specifically designed for contract instructors and faculty. For more information on that program, please click here.
- Individuals who have previously completed the GUTS certificate are ineligible.
- Priority will be given to graduating PhD candidates. Exceptions may be made for Masters-level students who demonstrate extraordinary circumstances.
- If you anticipate missing more than one session, please consider taking the program at another time.
Please note: The program carries a $50 deposit (cash only, exact change only), which will be returned to participants who complete the certificate requirements. Individuals who do not complete their requirements on time or fail to meet the attendance/participation expectations will not receive a refund or the Preparing to Teach certificate.