The OAVPTL strives to create an institutional culture that values, rewards and sustains engagement, innovation and excellence in teaching and learning. The office promotes outcomes-oriented, high-impact teaching practices that foster deep, lifelong learning and, ultimately, student success.
The OAVPTL supports Carleton University’s core mission by promoting excellence in teaching and learning and by encouraging the creation and sharing of knowledge derived from interdisciplinary and diverse curricula that are enhanced by multiple global perspectives and innovative high-impact practices.
The graphic below represents how the OAVPTL’s vision, mission, values, principles and goals relate to and intersect with various initiatives implemented by our partners and other units across the university.
TLS by the Numbers
During the 2014-15 academic year, CUOL, the EDC and IMS came together to provide Carleton’s teaching and learning community with a variety of services, including professional development opportunities, online learning opportunities, Scantron exam processing and exam proctoring. Below you’ll find some quick facts about our services.
- Faculty, instructor and TA professional development participants (including certificate programs, workshops, consultations, and teaching and learning events): Approx. 3,200
- Unique online students: Approx. 10,000
- Online course registrations: Approx. 18,000
- Scantrons processed: Approx. 500,000
- Exams proctored at the CU Testing Centre: Approx. 3,000