Thank you to all who attended our Coffee Break with Web Services session yesterday! If you were unable to attend or would like to reminisce about the event, here are some key points to be excited about:
New site features
- All pages come with endless scrolling and a ‘Back to top’ button.
- Any email listed on Carleton sites are protected from spam.
- New social media sharing buttons can be made available to any page/post.
- The ‘Print’ button on all pages allows users to easily clip and select what they want to print.
- The top menu bar won’t expand until a user hovers over it.
- People pages can be pulled in using a shortcode; custom field settings now include more options.
- Video galleries can be created and pulled in using shortcodes.
- All News posts come with an automatic thumbnail image; there are more thumbnail presets you can choose from and preview.
Mobile browsing design
- All sites now come with customized (and automatic) designs for mobile-friendly browsing.
- Includes tabs of Quick Links, News, and/or Events, so ensure that these are kept up-to-date.
- Best to write content with your mobile audience in mind- be clear and concise!
Finally, we bragged about our awesome web community at the CANHEIT 2012 conference. You all helped make Carleton the rockstars of the university web world!
For more information, be sure to check out our CMS Manual for a more detailed guide of new features, shortcodes, and general site editing tips.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, contact the Service Desk by email or at ext. 3700.