Having an anchor on your page will bring your site’s visitors to designated areas of a page. Adding an anchor involves two steps: creating an anchor and creating a link to that anchor.
For a sample anchor, this link leads to the video tutorial further down this page
- Click in the Content Editor area where you would like to place the anchor.
- Click on the anchor icon from the editing panel.
- Enter a name for your anchor. Be sure to use a name that will be recognizable. Do not use spaces or special characters in the name.
- Click OK.
- A small anchor will appear in the content editing area. This icon will not be visible on your site. This anchor indicates the point where the anchor link will lead.
- Create an anchor using the steps above.
- On the page you would like your link to appear on, highlight the linking text.
- Click on the “Insert/edit link” button.
- Paste the URL of the page you are linking to, and add a hashtag and your anchor name to the end of the URL (ex. carleton.ca/example#anchor).
- If you are linking to an anchor on the same page as your linking text, you can also just type the hashtag and anchor name (ex. #anchor)
- Hit Enter or press the Apply button
Anchors are useful for easily navigating page content. Try adding one to your page!
- Create an anchor on a page.
- Link to that anchor from that same page.
- Link to that anchor from another page.