An internal link is a type of hyperlink on your webpage that directs your visitors to another page or document on the same website. To create an internal links:
- Edit the page you want the link to appear.
- Insert the text that you want to be made into a link (i.e.: “click here for more information”, or the name of the document).
- Highlight the text and click the “Insert/edit link” icon.
- A drop-down menu will appear just below your highlighted text, where you can search/insert the page you want to the link to lead to. Once you find the page, click the “Apply” button (the blue button with the arrow) and the link will be created.
Creating an external link has a very similar process to creating an internal link, however with external links you are re-directing your site’s visitors to an outside source/page that are not a part of your site. To create an external link:
- Insert your text onto the page that will become your link.
- Highlight the text and click on the “Insert/edit link” icon.
- Copy and paste the website URL into the blank field.
- To have the link open in a new window, click on the Link Options button and enable ‘Open link in a new tab’.
- Click Apply.
By uploading a document to your site and creating a link, you can allow your website visitors to download the document from your webpage.
- Click Add Media to upload your document(s)
- Once you have selected the document you would like to upload and create a link for, you can edit the attachment details, such as the link name or how the document will open when the link is clicked.
Note: the “Title” of the document in the attachment settings is what the link will say on your page.
- You can change whether or not the document will open as a media file or as a separate attachment page
- Insert the document into your post and your link will appear on the page.
With email links you can allow your site’s visitors to email a contact right from a line of text on your page.
To create an email link:
- Insert the email or text on your page that will become the email link (typically this is the individual’s name) and highlight it.
- Click on the “Insert/edit link” icon.
- Enter the email address in the Link URL field with the prefix mailto: (i.e.: mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click the “apply” button.
Having an anchor on your page will bring your site’s visitors to designated areas of a page. This involves 2 steps: creating an anchor and creating a link to that anchor.
To create an anchor:
- Place your cursor at the desired location in the Content Editor area where you would like to place the anchor.
- Click on the anchor icon from the editing panel.
- Enter a name for your anchor. Tip: be sure to use a name that will be recognizable. Do not use spaces or foreign characters in the name (i.e.: firstpart).
- Click OK.
- A small anchor will appear in the content editing area. This icon will not be visible on your site.
To link to an anchor:
- Create an anchor using the steps above.
- Highlight the text beside the anchor and click on the “Insert/edit link” button.
- Type a hashtag and the name of the anchor in the URL text field (i.e.: #firstpart).
- Click Apply.
Was this page helpful?
3 people found this useful