The Pauline Jewett Institute of Women’s and Gender Studies at Carleton University challenges you to be active by ‘Doing Something Beautiful’!
Do Something Beautiful! … In three easy steps:
1. Know the Facts: People profit from your looks. Marketline estimates that the world make-up and hair care market was worth almost $84 billion (USD) in 2010. It is expected to swell to more than $100 billion by 2015. It’s been estimated that the average woman will spend $13,000 in her lifetime on beauty products. Men spend more that 14 million dollars a year just on hair products and in 2007 sales of the AXE line of products for men were more than 186 million. Giving just $10 – a very small portion of what you would spend on yourself – can make a real difference in the lives of girls and women.
2. Make-up your Mind: Give up ONE beauty product or service JUST ONCE. Instead, take the funds you would have spent and donate them to charity.
3. Express your Preference: Take a look at the organizations we are supporting on this page (Grandmothers to Grandmothers, Harmony House, and the PJIWGS Scholarship) and donate to one of your choice (or choose your favourite aid organization). Then, please tell us what you gave up and how it will help make a difference. You can share this information through your social networks!
You are welcome to visit our Facebook page for this campaign here: www.facebook.com/dosomethingbeautiful
HARMONY HOUSE – a second-stage women’s shelter that provides safe, affordable transitional housing for women and children who are survivors of violence.
Go here to donate.
THE STEPHEN LEWIS FOUNDATIONS’ GRANDMOTHERS TO GRANDMOTHERS CAMPAIGN launched in March 2006, the campaign is a response to the emerging crisis faced by African grandmothers as they struggled to care for millions of children orphaned by AIDS. Their Goals are to:
• Raise funds to meet the needs of African grandmothers and the children in their care;
• Listen to African grandmothers, respect their expertise and amplify their voices, in order to promote authentic and substantive responses to the pandemic in Africa;
• Build solidarity among African and Canadian grandmothers in order to motivate and sustain the vital work of turning the tide of AIDS in Africa.
Go here to donate: http://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org/get-involved/grandmothers-campaign
THE PAULINE JEWETT INSTITUTE OF WOMEN’S AND GENDER STUDIES – to raise funds to support our graduate students as they do their course work and write their theses. In particular our funds support them in doing field work in an international setting and inattending conferences and giving papers.
Here is how to donate to the PJIWGS Scholarship….
1. The url is www.carleton.ca/giving/give
2. Once on that page, click on ‘Proceed with online gift on our secure server’
3. This takes you to a form, which you have to complete (name, address, email, etc.), once you have filled in the information, then you go to page 2;
4. On page 2, you have a bulleted list; take the last one: “I want to support a recent initiative (from the list that will appear below)”.
5. Once you have selected this last bullet, a drop down menu will appear and you need to scroll down to the end for the “Pauline Jewett Institute of Women’s & Gender Studies”.