Welcome to Carleton Women’s and Gender Studies!
Women’s and Gender Studies at Carleton University provides you with a unique and exciting opportunity to examine the diverse ways in which gender shapes our lives and the world around us. The Pauline Jewett Institute of Women’s and Gender Studies offers a stimulating, supportive and culturally inclusive environment in which to explore questions such as:
- How do popular culture and the media shape our ideas about gender
- How does our gender affect our experience of race, class, sexual orientation, disability and age?
- Do women still face a “glass ceiling” in the workplace?
- What influences how masculinity and femininity are constructed in societies?
- How do we achieve global gender equality?
Women’s and Gender studies opens new perspectives on women’s experiences, but also challenges the parameters of traditional scholarship, employing new research methods and conceptual tools.