The Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Women’s & Gender Studies provides candidates with a strong grounding in the discipline. It is intended for:
- Individuals who already have an undergraduate degree from a Canadian University in another discipline and want to supplement their educational background to include a strong grounding in Women’s & Gender Studies. This would include professionals working in settings where a gendered analysis is an important element of their work or those seeking to pursue such occupations.
- People with a degree from outside Canada, whether in gender studies or another discipline, who want a Canadian qualification.
- People with a degree in a discipline other than Women’s & Gender Studies who are seeking to develop sufficient background in Women’s & Gender Studies and, for those whose first language of study is not English, to improve their language skills to a level that would allow them to apply to a graduate program in Women’s & Gender Studies.
The Post-Baccalaureate Diploma provides:
- Eight months (two terms) of intensive training in Feminist Theory and Methods, Intersectional Analysis, and Feminist Activism.
- The opportunity to develop writing skills at the senior academic level.
- An opportunity to do a Practicum placement in an area related to Women’s & Gender Studies.
- English-language training for students who are not fluent in English.
How to apply:
- Current Carleton students (i.e., students currently enrolled in a degree or diploma program at Carleton) can transfer to the Post-Baccalaureate Diploma through Carleton’s “Internal Applicants” page.
- Canadian applicants who are not current Carleton students should apply through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre.
- Non-Canadians should apply via Carleton’s “International Applicants” page.
All applicants to the Women’s & Gender Studies Master’s program are automatically considered for the Post-Baccalaureate Diploma. If you are not sure for which program you are best qualified, please apply to the MA program.
Below are the application deadlines for the Post-Baccalaureate Diploma. Please note that space in the program is limited, so we encourage interested students to apply early:
- International applicants: April 1
- Domestic External Applicants: June 1
- Domestic Internal Candidates: June 15
- PLEASE NOTE: All applicants who wish to be considered for both the PBD and the master’s program should apply by February 1
Requirements of the program can be found here