Skip to main content Skip to footer

Here at Carleton, students in architecture and urbanism are not afraid to imagine a future that is different from the world of today.

– Jill Stoner

Our Extraordinary Assets

History


Established in 1942, Carleton University started as a small intimate institution in a former women’s college in the Glebe neighborhood of Ottawa. Carleton University greatly expanded in the years directly after World War II as a strategy retrain and reduce overall unemployment for returning veterans. In 1952 Carleton University moved from its urban location to its current site. The land was partly donated and purchased from Harry Southam, publisher of the Ottawa Citizen. Located between the Rideau River and the historic Rideau canal the campus has grown significantly from the original quadrangle formed by the Tory Building, Paterson Hall and the MacOdrum Library. Since its modest inception, Carleton University has become a full comprehensive institution renowned for its faculties in Business, Journalism and Architecture.

The School of Architecture was established in the fall of 1968 with twelve students and four faculty under the Directorship of Douglas Shadbolt. The purpose-built architecture building followed four years later as the program grew in size and significance. A pivotal period in the school’s history was under the directorship of Alberto Perez-Gomez (1983-86), one that defined an era for the school’s pedagogy and left a lasting legacy of design thinking and production. These ideas have left a tangible layer onto the otherwise brut concrete walls.

Our current school, under the directorship of Jill Stoner, will continue to evolve…