Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Mahatma Gandhi Today: In India and the World
June 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM to 4:30 PM
|Location:||303 Paterson Hall|
Moderator: Prof. Noel Salmond, Carleton University
• Nicholas Barla: Indigenous activist, Catholic priest and lawyer who works with tribal communities to advance their identity and status in the society. He is based in Sundergarh in western Orissa.
• Dr. William Baskaran: Department of Gandhian Thought and Peace Science at the Gandhigram University. He is well-known for his research on Shanti Sena.
• Jill Carr-Harris: Community development specialist in India for over 30 years. She has trained at the Institute for Nonviolence and Peace and is completing a doctorate in educational leadership.
• Dr. Meenakshi Gopinath: Former principal, Lady Shri Ram College, New Delhi. Founder and incumbent director of Women in Security Conflict Management and Peace (WISCOMP).
• Dr. R. Mani: Head of the Department of Gandhian Thought and Peace Science in the Gandhigram Rural Institute, one of the foremost universities based on Gandhian thought in India.
• Dr. Amrendra Pandey: Assistant Professor of English at the Mahadev Desai Samajseva Mahavidyalaya, Gujarat Vidyapith. • Rajagopal PV: Leading Gandhian activist in India who champions the land and livelihood rights of Adivasis (Indigenous people). In 2012, he led a march of 50,000 people to promote a land reform agenda.
• Dr. Anamik Shah: Vice Chancellor of the Gujarat Vidyapith. He brings forward a contemporary vision of higher education that blends Gandhian values with scientific perspectives.