University IT Strategy
Carleton’s IT Strategy is the result of contributions from over 70 faculty members, students and professional services staff. It was informed by best practices in IT, the University’s strategic plans, and Carleton’s IT service providers: the Library, Teaching & Learning Services, the Faculty IT units, and Computing & Communication Services (CCS).
Campus Wide Perspective
The goal of this strategy is to increase alignment and effectiveness of IT services for Teaching & Learning, Research, and Professional Services, by formalizing our federated IT model and by establishing a campus-wide perspective for IT.
Building the Foundation
Entitled Building the Foundation, the Carleton IT Strategy provides a vision structured around three themes:
- Governance: Enhancing IT Governance, to ensure transparent decision-making.
- Services: Simplifying access to IT services, in our federated IT model with its diversity of IT providers.
- Financial Management: Understanding our IT spend, to ensure ongoing alignment with University goals.
By focusing on these themes, we will ensure the alignment and effectiveness of our IT services to meet the growing demand for information technology in teaching & learning, research, and administration.
Year 1: Core Initiatives
- Establish an Administrative Computing Committee, to align with the existing model of computing committees for the Research and Academic communities.
- Create a university-wide IT Service Catalogue website to simplify access to IT services, irrespective of IT service provider.
- Establish budget framework: consistently capture our total IT spend including human and physical resources.
Year 2: Refinement Initiatives
- Define the relationship to the ISSC by the Research, Academic, and Administrative Computing Committees.
- Investigate synergies in simplifying Service Delivery through the unified, enterprise-wide Service Catalogue.
- Link IT expenditures to Service Catalogue and report to ISSC to ensure IT spend is aligned with University priorities.
Year 3: Sustainability Initiatives
- Determine any on-going human and physical resource requirements for sustainability.
- Renew IT Strategy.
In addition to the actual IT Strategy document, the following a presentation slide set summary is available: