Current Research Areas
Life Assessment of Thermal Barrier Coatings
Development of Ceramic Matrix Nano-Composite
Polymer and Metal Laminates
Oxidation Resistant Coatings for Gen IV Supercritical Water Reactors
Wide Gap Braze Repair of Gas Turbine Components
Plasma Spraying and Synthesis
Component Failure Analysis
Gas turbine industry, manufacturing and energy sectors
Topic Organizer, 12th and 13th International Conferences on Fracture, 2009 and 2013
Committee Vice Chair, Manufacturing, Materials and Metallurgy Committee, International Gas Turbine Institute, Turbo Expo 2009 and 2010
Committee Chair, Manufacturing, Materials and Metallurgy Committee, International Gas Turbine Institute, Turbo Expo 2011 and 2012
Carleton University Research Award Recipient 2009
Best Paper Award, ASME Turbo Expo 2011
1. X. Huang, Low-Melting Boron-Free Nickel-Based Braze Alloy, US Patent 8,197,747.
2. X. Huang and G. Franchi, Hybrid Wicking Material for Use in High Performance Heat Pipes, US Patent, 7,828,046B2.
B. Geddes, H. Leon, Xiao Huang, Superalloys: Alloying and Performance, ISBN: 978-1-61503-040-8, ASM International, p. 1-176, 2010.
Selected Journal Publications
1. Suzan Bsat, Bob De Snoo and Xiao Huang, Wear Resistance of Porous Titanium and Titanium/Bioglass Coatings, Advanced Engineering Materials, Accepted, July 16, 2013.
2. F. Barrett, Xiao Huang and D. Guzonas, Characterization of TiO2 Doped Yttria Stabilized Zirconia (YSZ) for Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactor Insulator Application, Journal of Thermal Spray, accepted Jan. 2013.
3. F. Cai, X. Huang, Q. Yang and D. Nagy, Tribological Behaviours of Titanium Nitride and Chromium Nitride Based PVD Coating Systems, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power, Volume 134 (11), p.112504 (8 pages), 2012.
4. D.J. Kim, X. Huang, D.Y. Seo, Q. Yang and Y-W. Kim, Cyclic Oxidation and Interdiffusion Behaviour of a NiCrAlY Coated Powder Metallurgy Beta Gamma TiAl-2Nb-2Mo Alloy Oxidation of Metals, Vol. 7(1-2), pp. 31-50, August 2012.
5. J. Romualdez, X. Huang, R. Kearsey ,Q. Yang, Calorimetric analysis of dysprosia and dysprosia doped zirconia ceramics, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, Vol. 110 (3), pp. 1061-1067, 2011.
6. F. Gao, X. Huang, Q. Yang and R. Liu, Optimization and Prediction of Plasma Spray Process by Taguchi Method, Journal of Thermal Spray, Volume 21 (1), 1, pp.176-186, 2012.
7. D.J. Kim, D.Y. Seo, X. Huang, Y-W. Kim, Cyclic Oxidation Behaviour of a Beta Gamma Powder Metallurgy TiAl-4Nb-3Mn Alloy Coated with a NiCrAlY Coating, Surface and Coating Technology, Vol. 206 (13), pp.3048-3054, 2012.
8. X. Huang, Warren Miglieti, Wide Gap Braze Repair – A review Journal of Engineering of Gas Turbine and Power, GTP-10-1310, 2012.
9. M. Kibsey, J. Romualdez, Xiao Huang, R. Kearsey, and Q. Yang, Mechanical Properties of Titania-Doped Yttria Stabilized Zirconia (TiYSZ) for Use as Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC), ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Volume 133 (12), Dec. 2011, p.122101 (9 pages).
10. P. Puetz, X. Huang, Q. Yang and Z. Tang, Characterization of Transient Oxide Formation on NiCrAlY after Heat Treatment in Vacuum, Surface Engineering, Vol. 27(5), pp.368-375, 2011.
11. P. Puetz, X. Huang, Q. Yang and Z. Tang, Oxide Formation on APS NiCrAlY after Oxidation Heat Treatment, Journal of Thermal Spray, Vol. 20 (3), 2011, pp. 621-629.
12. Jules Petitjean, R. Kearsey, X. Huang, On the Thermodynamics and Microstructure of Variably Cooled and Co-doped Y2O3-ZrO2 for Application to Thermal Barrier Coatings, Surface and Coating Technology, Vol. 27 (10), 2011, pp. 1606-1609.
13. J. Petitjean, X. Huang and R. Kearsey, Fracture Toughness (KIC) Analysis of Co-doped 7YSZ, Materials Science and Technology, Surface and Coating Technology, Volume 205 (7), 2010, 1843-1849.
14. P. Puetz, X. Huang, R. S. Lima, Q. Yang and L. Zhao, “Characterization of Transient Oxide Formation on CoNiCrAlY after Heat Treatment in Vacuum and Air”, Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 205, pp.647-657 (2010).
15. F. Cai, X. Huang, Q.Yang, D. Nagy, Microstructure and Tribological Properties of CrN and CrSiCN Coating, Surface and Coatings Technology, Vol. 205, pp. 182-188 (2010).
16. Austin Selvig, Xiao Huang, M. Hildebrand and D. Stek, Investigation of Stress Assisted Grain Boundary Oxidization (SAGBO) Cracking in Mar-M002 High Pressure Turbine Blades, ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 133 (8), p. 82101 (8 pages), Aug. 2011.
17. Thomas Henhoeffer, Xiao Huang, S. Yandt and P. Au, Fatigue Properties of Narrow and Wide Gap Braze Repaired Joints, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 133(9), p.92101 (7 pages) , Sept. 2011.
18. X. Huang, A. Zurkadaev and D. M. Wang, Phase Transformation and Thermal Properties of Ternary Thermal Barrier Coating Materials, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 488(2010), pp.469-478.