|Building:||Mackenzie, Room ME 3130|
|Department:||Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering|
|Degrees:||B.Sc. Technical University of Istanbul, M.Eng., Ph.D. Carleton University|
Experimental and computational study of fluid flows with application to aerospace, power generation and biomedicine.
- Shear layer instability and transition;
- Forced convection heat transfer in heated supercritical fluids;
- Transition and turbulence modelling;
- Vortical flows;
- Separation bubbles and flow separation control;
- Passive control of boundary layer transition and turbulence;
- Aerodynamic optimization of lift-generating surfaces;
- Aerodynamic optimization of lobed mixers and diffusing bends;
- Axial-turbine blade aerodynamics;
- Design optimization of a novel hydrokinetic turbine;
- Study of blood flow in the ascending aorta, the aortic arch and the descending thoracic aorta.
Brinkerhoff, J.R., Yaras, M.I., 2014, “Numerical Investigation of the Generation and Growth of Coherent Flow Structures in a Triggered Turbulent Spot,” accepted for publication in the Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
Dave, N., Azih, C., Yaras, M.I., 2013, “A DNS Study on the Effects of Convex Streamwise Curvature on Coherent Structures in a Turbulent Boundary Layer with Supercritical Water,” Int. J. of Heat and Fluid Flow Vol. 44, pp. 635-643.
Brinkerhoff, J.R., Oria, H., Yaras, M.I., 2013, “Experimental and Computational Study of Mixing Mechanisms in an Axisymmetric Lobed Mixer,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 1017-1030.
Brinkerhoff, J.R., Yaras, M.I., 2013, “Direct Numerical Simulations of Transitional Separation-Bubble Development in Swept-Blade Flow Conditions,” ASME J. of Turbomachinery, Vol. 135, No. 4, pp. 041006/1-041006/10; also published in the proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2012.