ACT to Employ helps students with disabilities find paid experiential learning opportunities on campus that align with their academic and career goals.
To participate in the program, book an appointment with our Student Advisor using your MyCarleton1 account to navigate to mySuccess.
For general information and resources on the job search process, check out the Career Services website.
Student seeking resume and job search support may access the following resources:
- ACT to Employ Student Advisor: Contact Jenna Lambert with questions or concerns about your resume
- Accessible Career Transitions (ACT) Advisor: Registered ACT students may contact ACT by email to schedule an appointment
- Career Services: For drop-in access to comprehensive resume and job search support, ACT to Employ students may visit Career Services at 401 Tory Building any time between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm from Monday to Friday.
For more information and resources on Resumes, Cover Letters, and CVs, see the Career Services website.
As part of the ACT to Employ program, employers are understanding and supportive of hiring students with disabilities.
Our employer partners will receive information on specifically requested accommodations during the application process and work term. The ACT to Employ team will support students with the process of communicating accommodation needs to employers.
However, it is never required that students disclose any information about the nature of their disability.
If you have questions about disclosure, or want to discuss how to disclose to an employer, please reach out to ACT to Employ Student Advisor, Jenna Lambert
.Some examples of common accommodations provided by employers may include:
- Providing applicants with interview questions ahead of time
- Flexible work schedules
- Adding computer software such as text to speech or screen magnifiers
- Alternative communication methods
- Moving the workspace to an environment that is quieter or with better lighting
For more information on disclosure and accommodations in the workplace, visit the Career Services website.