Event Risk Management Form

Campus events are an integral part of the Carleton University community. They bring together community members from many diverse backgrounds and enhance the university experience. To ensure that all university sanctioned events (both on and off campus) are appropriately planned and safe, community members are required to complete the Events Risk Management Form minimum 14 days before your event.

The Events Risk Management Form should be completed if your event has one of the following elements:

  1. Scheduled activity occurring on or off campus
  2. Features a speaker
  3. Alcohol is being served;
  4. A sports-like activity is planned;
  5. Transporting students by means of chartered bus or rental vehicle
  6. Any activity that has the potential to result in damage to the individual person, or physical property.

In the event you are not sure your event has any potential risks associated with it, then err on the side of caution and complete the Risk Management Form.  Completing it will only take 5-10 minutes.

NOTE: It is important to complete the Events Risk Management Form for the following reasons:

  1. To provide adequate time to plan resources to support events.
  2. University staff can offer advice or assistance in helping to organize an event and help to assess any risks that may associate with their activity;
  3. To ensure a student activity is covered by insurance (either CUSA’s or the university’s); if your event is not approved by the university, you may be personally required to accept any liabilities that result from your activity. Protect yourself by using the Risk Management Process! 

Events not submitted a minimum of 14 days in advance of the event date will be declined. Events scheduled after the last day of classes during the final examination period will only be approved if they are academic in nature (ie. study workshops)

If your event requires space on campus, you must book this well in advance (minimum 14 days). Based on where your event is being hosted, you will need to contact that specific department.