The main objective of the training is to enhance participants’ understanding of the phenomena associated with international migration and its effect on the outcomes of society together with the understanding of how policy and programs influence these outcomes to the advantage of the host societies, the migrants, and their countries of origin. In addition, specific objectives include:
- Participants acquire a conceptual framework and a knowledge base from which to implement effective migration and integration policies and programs in their jurisdictions;
- Participants develop new ways to think through the challenges of managing migration and integration by understanding the various considerations regardless of the jurisdiction and by asking themselves questions that each jurisdiction will need to answer;
- Participants increase their awareness about the importance of administration; data collection; and monitoring and evaluation in managing migration and integration efficiently and effectively;
- Participants learn how to develop solutions that are appropriate to their jurisdiction;
- The capacity of participants’ organizations is enhanced to effectively manage migrant integration through analysis of case studies, describing their degree of success and its reasons; and by understanding pitfalls to avoid;
- Participants receive tools to help raise awareness among government officials of the value of applying research to their policy development work;
- Service providers acquire knowledge on current trends in integration, on best practices of service delivery, and on evaluation methodologies.