Carleton Model NATO Student Funding
Carleton Model NATO provides funds to students in financial need who require assistance to participate in the annual Model NATO conference. There are two distinct categories of CMNATO financial assistance – (i) waivers for the participation fee or accommodations, and (ii) student bursaries.
The bursary account, specifically, contains a limited amount of funds. Approval of each application is dependent on the availability of funds – we will not be able to determine the total amount of available funds until shortly before the conference.
After evaluation of projected expenses, funding packages may be granted for one or more of the following:
- A financial bursary for students of up $250CAD
- Conference registration fee waiver
- Sponsored hotel accommodations*
The application can be found here.
Deadline for Applications
Applications will be considered in two rounds:
Round 1 Funding Deadline: January 27th, 2023
Round 2 Funding Deadline: February 10th, 2023
All application forms must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most initial funding decisions will be made immediately after the ‘Round 1 Funding Deadline’ of January 27th, 2023. Remaining funding decisions (i.e. those submitted in time for the Round 2 funding deadline) will be made immediately prior to the conference based on remaining funds.
All students interested in attending the Carleton Model NATO conference are eligible to apply.
Successful applicants may receive approved funding at two different points:
- Prior to the conference: Delegate fee waivers and/or sponsored accommodations will go into effect immediately after the application has been approved by the Secretariat; conference attendees who have already paid the conference fee will have that amount refunded.
- Following the conclusion of the conference: Based on available conference funds, bursary funds will be distributed to successful bursary applicants who:
- Submit a position paper prior to the conference
- Attend all scheduled committee sessions (barring excused absences)
- Attend at least one Embassy Tour or other approved conference activity
We at CMNATO strongly believe in reducing barriers to participation, especially for delegates hailing from underrepresented groups – we will be approaching the distribution of student bursaries/fee waivers as equitably as possible.
The fund is intended to cover modest costs where other sources of support are not available. Those receiving full funding from another source (e.g., university travel funds) are ineligible to apply. However, where an applicant is only given partial funding from another source, they may apply to cover the remainder of conference related expenses. This application will primarily rely on the honour system through delegates’ self-reported projected needs.
Further questions on student funding eligibility can be directed to: email@example.com
* Sponsored hotel accommodations may only be available to delegates if they are in a room that is fully occupied.