Associate Professor in Transportation Engineering
|Degrees:||Postdoc (Illinois, Urbana Champaign), PhD (Waterloo), BEng (BUET), PEng|
|Website:||ARTEL Research Group|
Dr. Hossain is an Associate Professor at Carleton University, Ottawa. Previously, Dr. Hossain served as an Assistant Professor at Memorial University. He was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Illinois Center for Transportation of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) in USA, and at the Center for Pavement and Transportation Technology (CPATT) and Transportation System Solution Laboratory of the University of Waterloo. He holds a PhD in Civil Engineering (Transportation) from the University of Waterloo. Dr. Hossain’s research interests include pavement engineering, pavement materials, and spring and winter road maintenance. He teaches highway and pavement engineering, and infrastructure management courses. Dr. Hossain has contributed to over 80 journal articles, conference papers and technical reports. Dr. Hossain serves in several technical committees and professional associations including United States Transportation Research Board (TRB) Standing Committees on Asphalt Binders (AKM20) and Pavement Maintenance (AKT30), APSE Research Task Force, ASCE Construction Institute Technical Committee on Bituminous Materials (BMC), Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE), Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (CTAA), and the Academy of Pavement Science and Engineering (APSE).
Pavement Performance and Sustainability; Climate Change Impacts on Transportation Infrastructure and Pavements; Pavement Design for Autonomous and Connected Vehicles; Pavement Asset Management; Pavement Performance Prediction Modeling; Highway Maintenance and Pavement Preservation Technologies; Transportation Asset Management; Transportation Infrastructure Resiliency; Transportation Sustainability; Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and Life Cycle Cost Analysis (LCCA) for Municipal and Transportation Infrastructure Design Alternatives; Winter Road Operation; De-icing and Anti-icing Technologies; Snow and Ice Control on Walkways, Sidewalks and Parking lots; Road Safety; Cold Region Pavement Design; Tire-Pavement Interaction; Smart Pavement; Pavement Recycling Technologies including WMA, CIR, HIR, FDR; Advanced Characterization of Asphalt and Mastic; Canadian Northern Road Issues
- Associate Professor, Carleton University, Ottawa, 2022 – Present
- Assistant Professor, Carleton University (2020 – 2022), MUN (2017 – 2020)
- Consultant, Multi-Materials Stewardship Board of Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, 2018 – 2019
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Illinois Center for Transportation, Sept. 2016 – Aug. 2017
- Lecturer, University of Waterloo, Jan. 2016 – Aug. 2016
- Graduate Researcher/Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Waterloo, 2011 – 2016
- Project Engineer/Construction Engineer in Construction Industry in Dhaka Bangladesh, 2005 – 2011
- Standing Committee Member, United States Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Asphalt Binders (AKM20)
- Standing Committee Member, United States Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Pavement Maintenance (AKT30)
- Technical Committee Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Committee on Bituminous Materials
- Research Task Force Lead and Academic Member, The Academy of Pavement Science and Engineering (APSE)
- Member, Transportation Association of Canada (TAC), 2017-2018
- Member, Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (CTAA)
- Member, Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE)
Other External Services
- Grant Reviewer, Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), Switzerland
- Grant Reviewer, Dutch Research Council (NWO), The Netherlands
- Expert Duties, Ontario Superior Court of Justice and Supreme Court of British Columbia
- Editor’s Choice Paper, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 2022
- Board Member, Junior Editorial Board of Journal of Infrastructure Preservation and Resilience, Springer Nature, 2021 – Present
- Best Paper of Pavements Award, ASCE T&DI Pavement Conference, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 2019
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2016
- Visiting Research Scholar, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- University of Waterloo Departmental Graduate/Doctoral Awards (5 times), 2011-2014
- Employee of The Year Award & Employee of the Month Award, Bay Development Ltd, 2010
- Swarna, S. (2022). Influence of Climate Change on Pavement Design and Materials in Canada. PhD thesis. Completed in January 2022. Not published online yet.
- Islam, T. (2022). Rheology and Surface Free Energy of Modified Asphalt Binder Containing Anti-stripping Additives. Co-supervisor: Dr. C. Bazan.
- Rana, M. (2021). Effect of Autonomous Vehicles on Pavement Distress & Road Safety and Pavement Distress Optimization. Master’s thesis.
- Guha, S. (2021). Towards Development of a Pavement Management System for Low Volume Road Networks in Canada. Master’s thesis.
- Khan, S. (2021). Performance of Pavements with Cement Stabilized Layer Using MEPDG Program and LTPP Data. Master’s thesis. Completed in April 2021, Co-supervisor: Dr. C. Bazan. Not published online yet.
- Ahmed, R. (2020). Chemical, Rheological and Morphological Properties of Various Rejuvenated Asphalt Binders. Master’s thesis.
- Alam, R. (2020). Pavement Life Cycle Assessment: From Case Study to Machine Learning Modeling. Master’s thesis. Co-supervisor: Dr. C. Bazan
- The Vancouver Sun, B.C.’s highways must be built to higher standards, with climate change in mind, November 25, 2021
- The Telegram, Road pavement issues in NL, April 23, 2021
- Gazette News, Paving the way: Collaborative asphalt project to improve roads in NL, February 3, 2021
- The Telegram, Interview with Juanita Mercer, December 14, 2020
- Gazette News, Public Lecture on N.L. Road Conditions, November 14, 2019
- CBC Interview, The State of the Asphalt, November 20, 2019
- Feature in “Speaking of Engineering Lecture”, Sponsored by Faculty of Engineering and Professional Engineers & Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL), November 20, 2019
- YouTube Link for the “Speaking of Engineering Lecture”. Sponsored by Faculty of Engineering and Professional Engineers & Geoscientists Newfoundland and Labrador (PEGNL). Have you ever wondered how road conditions in N.L. can be improved? November 20, 2019
- VOCM News, MUN Civil Engineer Tackles Driving Conditions Across the Province, November 18, 2019
- The Asphalt Institute – Asphalt Academic, Text Interview for the Asphalt Magazine, Fall 2019
- The Telegram Interview, It’s pothole season and a Memorial University professor says Newfoundland’s roads can be better, March 15, 2019
- The Telegram, Letter to the Editor: A better option for asphalt testing? March 20, 2019
- VOCM Interview with Darrell Power, Sunday Drive show, Pavement Talk, First 15 minutes, May 5, 2019
- VOCM Interview with Paddy Daly, MUN Civil Engineering Prof Takes On ‘The Pothole Problem’, March 12, 2019.
- CBC Interview with Ted Blades, Pothole issue, Radio broadcast, On the Go, March 14, 2019
- The Western Star, Text Interview, Bob Byrnes and paving expert say Hansen Highway pavement cracking too soon, January 22, 2019
- Gazette News, Text Interview, Infusion for innovation: impact of harsh climate on pavement performance and sustainability, Oct. 16, 2018
- CBC Radio Broadcast, Morning Show, and Text Interview, why line paint just won’t stick to Newfoundland streets, June 18, 2018
- CPATT Newsletter, The Centre for Pavement and Transportation Technology, University of Waterloo, Issue 11, Spring 2014
- Ontario’s Landscape Trade Publication, Safer sidewalks and parking lots, Special Issue for Canada’s Snow Fighters, July-Aug 2013