Past Event! Note: this event has already taken place.
Policy Workshop: “CETA and Progressive Trade Agreements: What it Means for the EU and Canada”
May 22, 2018 at 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM
|Location:||Universiteit Antwerpen, Hof Van Liere, Prentenkabinet, Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen|
Registration to Attend Event is Mandatory!
About the Workshop
This international outreach and policy workshop will bring together public servants, scholars, civil society and students to analyse and assess EU – Canada trade relations. The one-day workshop will consist of three consecutive panels:
- First, panel participants will discuss the progressive nature of the Comprehensive and Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) between the European Union and Canada.
- In the second panel session, participants will discuss the negotiation and ratification process of so-called mixed agreements like CETA. Mixed trade agreements contain topics that fall under exclusive competence of EU institutions (Commission, Parliament and Council) as well as topics that are member state competences, meaning that member state parliaments participate in the process.
- Third, the afternoon panel will delve into the implementation of CETA, both in Canada and in the European Union.
9.00AM Welcome with coffee and breakfast snacks
9:30-11:00AM Panel 1: How ‘Progressive’ is CETA?
Chair: Dirk De Bièvre (University of Antwerp)
- Liina Carr (European Trade Union Congress)
- Michèle Rioux (Université du Québec à Montréal)
- Meredith Lilly (Carleton University, Ottawa)
- Patrick Leblond (University of Ottawa)
Discussant: Tatjana Muravska (University of Latvia, Riga)
11:15AM-12:45PM Panel 2: The EU CETA Experience and EU Member State ‘Mixed’ Competence: What does it Mean for the EU’s Future Trade Policy?
Chair Patrick Leblond (University of Ottawa)
- Sam Pieters (DG Trade, European Commission)
- Christofer Fjellner TBC (Committee on International Trade, European Parliament)
- Markus Gehring (Cambridge)
- Sieglinde Gstöhl (College of Europe, Brugge)
Discussant: Crina Viju (Carleton University, Ottawa)
2:00-3:30PM Panel 3: Implementing CETA: The Long Road Ahead
Chair: Crina Viju (Carleton University, Ottawa)
- Alan Bowman (Canadian Delegation to the EU)
- Luisa Santos (BusinessEurope)
- Renita Bhaskar (DG Trade, European Commission)
- Robert Finbow (Dalhousie University)
Discussant: Ferdi De Ville (Universiteit Gent)
7:00PM Dinner for presenters, discussants and participants will be at Horta Grand Café & Art Nouveau Zaal, Hopland 2 (rsvp is required to attend and please complete the registration page linked at top)
This workshop is organized by Prof. Dr. Dirk De Bièvre (Universiteit Antwerpen), Prof. Dr. Crina Viju (Carleton University, Ottawa), and Prof. Dr. Patrick Leblond (University of Ottawa), hosted by the ACTORE Jean Monnet Centre of Excelence Universiteit Antwerpen coordinated by Prof. Dr. Peter Bursens, and is supported by the Jean Monnet Network on EU-Canada Relations, funded by the Erasmus+ Programme of the European Union, and by Carleton University.