Applicants for the HCI MA program will normally hold an Honours degree or equivalent professional degree in Arts, Social Sciences, Business, or related areas with Highest Honours. Applicants for the MASc program will normally hold an Honours degree in Engineering, Architecture, Design, or related areas with Highest Honours. Applicants for the MCS degree will normally hold an Honours degree in Computer Science with Highest Honours. Applicants with a background in Cognitive Science will be considered for whichever of the three programs is appropriate to their particular academic background.
Applicants judged to be generally acceptable but deficient in some preparation may be asked to complete course-work in addition to the program requirements.
In addition to transcripts and letters of reference, application packages will include a statement of intent outlining the applicant’s proposed area of research. You will find further information about admission requirements and procedures here.
Minimum Language Proficiency (ESL) test score requirement:
If your first language is not English, you can prove your language proficiency by:
- presenting one of the official Language Proficiency (ESL) test scores as defined in the table below;
- showing that you have completed ESLA 1900 or ESLA 1905 at Carleton University with a final grade of B- or higher; or
- present official certification (transcripts) that you have completed an undergraduate or graduate degree within the past three years in a university in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or any country in which the primary language is English, and where the language of instruction in the relevant educational institution was exclusively English.
|Language Proficiency Test||Score|
|Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL)||70 (min 60 in each band)|
|Internet-based TOEFL||86 (min 20 in reading and listening; 22 in speaking and writing)|
|IELTS||6.5 (min 6.0 in each band)|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic)||60 overall (min 60 in each Communicative Skill)|
The following documents are required to be uploaded to your online application:
- Preference Form
- Statement of Intent
- Three confidential Letters of Reference from persons who are prepared to comment on your academic background and potential for graduate studies
- Certified transcripts from all universities you have attended. If the transcript is not in English, it must be translated to English and signed by a notary or the school. Both the original transcript and translation must be submitted.
If applicable, submit other relevant information such as grading and ranking policy by the university.
Please follow the instructions carefully on how to upload your documents.