Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of frequently asked questions for the Career Development for Regulatory Professionals certificate program at Carleton University.
- What are the 2023-24 program dates?
CDRP is offered through a series of 5 Modules set several weeks apart. Each Module comprises of a 3-day session (a Wednesday evening, followed by full days on Thursday and Friday).
The upcoming scheduled dates are:
- Module 1: September 13 – 15, 2023
- Module 2: November 22 – 24, 2023
- Module 3: January 31 – February 2, 2024
- Module 4: March 20 – 22, 2024
- Module 5: May 22 – 24, 2024
- Where is the program located?
All modules of the Career Development for Regulatory Professionals are held at the Carleton University campus in Ottawa, Ontario.
- Is there a hybrid or online option?
No, not at this time. We have returned to our traditional in-person program delivery model.
The ability for program participants to establish personal relationships and connections with other regulatory practitioners and deepen their professional networks is an important aspect of our program best done face-to-face.
We will, of course, continue to follow all public health guidelines to ensure that people are safe and comfortable on campus.
- What are the eligibility requirements?
We are looking for candidates who work in various functions within the regulatory life cycle (from policy or regulation design, through to implementation) and staff who carry out those roles and can occupy different groups and levels across various government departments, industry sectors and non-governmental organizations.
Candidates should have:
- 2-8 years of experience working in a regulatory role in public sector, private industry or other relevant organization (e.g. not-for-profit engaged in advocacy)
- A demonstrated interest in a deeper knowledge of regulatory systems and processes, and in improving technical and strategic capacity to deliver results within a regulatory context
- A commitment to attend all sessions, complete the required preparatory and in-class work, and participate actively, and
- Evidence of support for fully participating in the program
- How do I apply?
Interested applicants are asked to submit the following:
- A current CV
- A letter of recommendation/endorsement from the applicant’s Director/Manager. The letter should include an indication of the anticipated developmental objectives for the applicant’s participation in the program.
This will help the selection team get a sense of what experience candidates brings to the program, and where they are looking to develop more skills. Part of our goal in reviewing these documents is to create a cohort of participants who have different experiences, and work in different regulatory functions across an array of subject areas. This will enhance the learning of all present, and bring a richness to classroom discussions and learning activities.
Applications can be submitted online here.
- Is there a deadline to apply?
The application window will remain open until at least June 30, 2023. Applications may be submitted after this date, if space allows. The online application form will be removed from the website once applications are no longer being accepted.
- How will I know if I have been accepted?
Acceptances will be provided by email.
We endeavor to notify candidates as soon as possible, but you can expect to have a response by August.
Wait-listed and unsuccessful candidates will also be notified.
- How much does the program cost?
The full cost of the program is $5,200 + HST. This includes instruction, learning materials, and educational supports; there are no additional incidental fees. An invoice will be provided with the payment instructions.
Participants or their organizations are responsible for any travel-related costs to attend the program in-person, but meals are provided by CDRP during program sessions.
- What are the payment options?
We can accept payment by cheque, electronic fund transfer, or credit card.
An invoice will be provided with the payment instructions after being accepted into the program.
Don’t see your answer? Send us an email!