Program: MASc (Thesis); 2021-2023; Thesis Title: The Impact of Historical Climate Change Induced Heat Waves on the Predicted Performance of Canadian Flexible Pavements; Current Position: GEMTEC, Canada
My name is Alyssa Bernier and I am currently pursuing a master’s degree in pavement engineering at Carleton University. While obtaining my Bachelor of Civil Engineering from the University of New Brunswick, I worked as a field technician for a geotechnical engineering firm. Here, I conducted field sampling and quality control testing on various construction materials, including asphalt. Through this work, I gained an acute interest in asphalt material properties and laboratory testing. My research pertains to the use of rejuvenators in asphalt mixes and their use in the Canadian industry.
- MASc (Civil Engineering-Transportation), Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
- B. Sc. Eng. (Civil Engineering), University of New Brunswick, Fredericton, Canada.
- Best Poster Award, GRINCH Conference, ETS, Montreal, 2022
- Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (CTAA) Graduate Scholarship, Carleton University, 2021
- 2020-2021 UNB Senior Capstone Design Project – Best Presentation
- 2020-2021 UNB Senior Capstone Design Project – Best Technical Report, second runner up
- 2018 Allan K. Grimmer Prize for academic achievement
- Pavement Engineering, Pavement Materials and Designs
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Bernier A. (2022). Climate Change Adaptation Strategies for Canadian Asphalt Pavements; Part 2: Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Cost Analysis. Journal of Cleaner Production. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.133355
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Mehta Y A, Bernier A. (2022).Climate Change Adaptation Strategies for Canadian Asphalt Pavements; Part 1: Adaptation strategies. Journal of Cleaner Production.Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.13231
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Bernier A. (2022).Pavement Temperature Model for Canadian Asphalt Binder Selection: Introduction to The CPT Model. Road Materials and Pavement Design. https://doi.org/10.1080/14680629.2022.2044892
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Bernier A. (2021). Selection of Appropriate Binder Grade for Changing Climate and Its Influence on Pavement Performance. 66th Annual Conference of Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (CTAA). Charlottetown, PE, Canada. Accepted.
- Guha S K, Hossain K, Bernier A. (2021). Our Efforts to Understand Roadway Assets Conditions and Management Techniques in Small Communities of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) Annual Conference. Virtual Meeting. Accepted.