Program: Ph.D. (Thesis); 2018-2022; Thesis Title: Influence of Climate Change on Pavement Design and Materials in Canada ; Current Position: Postdoc, Rowan University, USA
Surya Swarna completed his Ph.D. in pavement engineering at Memorial University. His work was focused on understanding climate change effects on pavement performance. He holds a master’s degree in Transportation Engineering from IIT, Kharagpur and has 3 years of research experience in pavement engineering. He was involved in research related to the mechanistic analysis of concrete pavements and the evaluation of various pavements using FWD. In addition, he has experience in advanced rheological characterization of asphalt binders using a dynamic shear rheometer (DSR). He has published and presented his research papers at various national and international conferences and reputable journals.
- Ph.D. (Transportation Engineering), Memorial University, Canada
- M.Tech. (Transportation Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
- B.Tech. (Civil Engineering), Acharya Nagarjuna University, India
- Fellow of School of Graduate Studies, Memorial University of Newfoundland, 2020
- Research Excellence Award, Memorial University Graduate Studies Union, 2020
- Transport Canada Travel Grant, Government of Canada
- MHRD Scholarship, Government of India
- AP ePass Scholarship for Undergraduate Study
- Pavement mechanics, MEPDG, climate change impacts on pavements
- Attended Transportation Research Board (TRB) 99th Annual Meeting from 13th to 16th January 2020, at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, in Washington, D.C and presented one poster on my research.
- Attended 64th Canadian Technical Asphalt Association Conference from 24th to 27th November 2019, in Montreal, Canada and presented one poster on climate change impact on pavement performance.
- Attended the Building Climate Resilience Conference: A Conference on Incorporating Climate Change into Public Infrastructure Planning and Design on 9th April 2019, at Capital Hotel, in St. John’s, NL, Canada.
- Attended 14th ArcticNet Annual Scientific Meeting from 10th to 14th December 2018, at the Shaw Centre in Ottawa, Canada.
- Attended 12th Transportation Planning and Implementation Methodologies for Developing Countries (TPMDC) Conference from 19th to 21st December 2016, at the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India and presented a paper on two-lift concrete pavements.
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Bernier A. (2022). Climate Change Adaptation Strategies for Canadian Asphalt Pavements; Part 2: Life Cycle Assessment and Life Cycle Cost Analysis. Journal of Cleaner Production. Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2022.133355
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2018). A Mechanistic and Economic Analysis of Two-Lift Concrete Pavements. Road Materials and Pavement Design. https://doi.org/10.1080/14680629.2019.1620843
- Hossain K, Bazan C, Hussein A. Swarna S T. (2018). Long-Term Aging Protocol of Asphalt Mixture: A State-Of-The-Art Review. Construction & Building Materials. Under Review.
- Swarna S T, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2018). Effect of Extended Dry Lean Concrete Base on Flexural Stresses in Concrete Pavements. Journal of the IRC, Indian Roads Congress, 79(2), 25-28.
- Swarna S T, Reddy K S, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2018). Analysis of Stresses Due to Traffic and Thermal Loads in Two-Lift Bonded Concrete Pavements by Finite Element Method. Advances in Civil Engineering Materials. https://doi.org/10.1520/ACEM20170028
- Swarna S T, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2017). A Re-examination of Structural Safety of concrete pavements with wider pavements. Journal of the IRC, Indian Roads Congress, 78(1), 22-26
- Swarna S T, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2017). A Mechanistic Analysis of Bonded Concrete Pavements. Highway Research Journal, Indian Roads Congress, 8(1), 17-26
- Swarna S T, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2017). Analysis and Design of Concrete Pavements: A New Approach. IRC Highways, Indian Roads Congress, 45(12), 37-42
- Swarna S T, Siddhartha P. (2015). Stabilization of Subgrade soil of Highway Pavement using Waste Tyre Pieces. IJIRSET. DOI: 10.15680/IJIRSET.2015.0405045
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Pandya H, Mehta Y A. (2020). Assessing Climate Change Impact on Asphalt Binder Grade: Selection and its Implications. 100th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) of National Academies of Science and Engineering. Washington DC, USA. Under Review.
- Rana M, Swarna S T, Hossain K. (2019). Climate Change Impact on Pavement Performance in Newfoundland, Canada. 99th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) of National Academies of Science and Engineering. Washington DC, USA. Accepted.
- Dhasmana H, Hossain K, Karakas A, Swarna S T. (2019). Laboratory Investigation of the Characteristics of Rejuvenated Asphalt Binder. 64th Annual Conference of Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (CTAA). Montreal, QC, Canada
- Ali A, Hossain K, Swarna S T, Hussein A, Dhasmana H. (2018). Development of PCI and IRI models for road networks in the City of St. John’s, Newfoundland Canada. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) International Conference on Highway Pavements and Airfield Technology. Chicago, Illinois, USA. Submitted.
- Swarna S T, Hossain K, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2018). A Mechanistic Study of Two-Lift Concrete Pavements: Design & Economics. 98th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board (TRB) of National Academies of Science and Engineering. Washington DC, USA. Accepted.
- Swarna S T, Hossain K. (2018). Effect of Interface Bonds on Pavement Performance. Innovation and Technology: Evolving Transportation. Transportation Association of Canada (TAC) Annual Conference. Saskatoon, SK, Canada. Accepted.
- Swarna S T, Reddy K S, Reddy M A, Pandey B B. (2016). Analysis of Bonded Concrete Pavements Using 3D FEM. TPMDC Conference, Conference Proceeding 151.