Welcome to the first budget recipe of Financial Literacy Month 2023! Every week we’re releasing a different budget recipe from different team members in our office. Make sure to send us a tweet (yes we’re still calling it that) if you tried any of the recipes! And we promise that our recipes will not have a million ads on them before the actual recipe part…
A little bit about Tara
Tara is a student staff in our office that has been with us for two years and is currently finishing up her Bachelor of Arts degree in French. When she’s not studying, she’s either cooking up something delicious or playing the latest Assassin’s Creed (which she swears she will complete 100%).
“Ramen is my go-to because it’s cheap and winter’s cold, so this helps keep me warm. Let’s be real, TikTok always shows me really interesting recipes and I always end up going down the rabbit hole and seeing what I can recreate. And while sometimes I see super rich and bougie meals that I can’t make (come on algorithm, you know I’m broke!) at least I can try out ramen recipes no problem. So consider this a recipe that’s mashed together from a few different TikToks that I liked, and now I can’t stop eating it.”
Tara’s Souped up Ramen
- 1 pack of Spicy ramen
- 1 Egg
- 2 bulbs of Baby bok choy
- 1/4 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- Put ramen flavoring packets to the side.
- Cook ramen noodles in plain water according to packet instructions. (probably 3 – 4 minutes)
- Don’t drain water! Just remove noodles and place in serving bowl.
- Add half the powdered flavor packet to noodles and mix. (If the pack comes with oils, add all the oils to the noodles. If it comes with dried herbs/etc. add it to the pot now)
- Add the remainder of the flavor pack to the pot.
- Add mushrooms. (It’s your preference for how long you want to boil them. I like them to really get the flavor of the ramen to infuse in them – 10 minutes) Remove from broth once cooked and place in bowl.
- Add baby bok choy to pot. Cook for 3 minutes or until leaves are wilted. Remove and add to bowl. (If water ever goes below 2 cups, add more water to pot.)
- Soft boil egg in the same pot. (Exactly 6 minutes)
- Remove, de-shell, place on top of noodles
- Add however much broth you like from the pot and enjoy!