Rules and Regulations
Carleton University awards scholarships tenable at the university in the Fall/Winter session of the year of offer to entrance students and in-course full-time undergraduate students who have demonstrated high potential for university studies. The intention of the scholarship policy is to recognize, attract and provide incentives for excellence.
All in-course students and all graduating students who meet the academic requirements for the awarding of University in-course scholarships will be named to the Deans’ Honour List for every year in which they qualify.
Be sure to carefully review the important information regarding Scholarship Payment and Renewing Requirements.
For questions and examples regarding scholarship processes, please review our Scholarship FAQ page.
- The student must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at the time of selection;
- The student will not be offered a scholarship beyond the first four years of undergraduate study;
- An annual GPA of 10.0 or better is required;
- All earned grades (grade points of all Carleton credits/courses) taken in the period considered for the scholarship will be used to calculate the annual GPA;
- No F, UNS or NR will be acceptable during the period considered for the scholarship. A final grade of F, UNS, or NR (in any credit or non-credit course for the period being considered) will result in being ineligible to renew an entrance scholarship or to be considered for an in-course scholarship or the Deans’ Honour List.
- Students in the Co-operative Education stream and the Industrial Experience program will not draw upon scholarship funds for a work period. On returning to full-time studies they will come under scholarship provisions.
- The definition of a full-time student is a student who registers in and completes a minimum of 4.0 Carleton credits during the Fall/Winter Session.
- Candidates will be considered for scholarships and the Deans’ Honour List based on the grade point average (GPA) of all Carleton credits/courses taken in the 12-month period May to April.
- All original/earned grades (grade points of all Carleton credits/courses) for this 12-month period are included in the calculation of the annual GPA.
- In order to hold the scholarship, the student must be returning to Carleton as a full-time undergraduate student (minimum 4.0 credits in the Fall/Winter session).
- The definition of a part-time student is a student who registers in and completes fewer than 4.0 credits during the Fall/Winter Session.
- Candidates will be considered for scholarships and the Deans’ Honour List based on the grade point average (GPA) of all Carleton credit courses (minimum of four credits are required) taken in the past 24 month period (May-April).
- All original/earned grades (grade points of all Carleton credits/courses) for this 24 month period are included in the calculation of the GPA.
- However, if the candidate was awarded a scholarship and named to the Deans’ Honour List the previous spring, a minimum of four new credits must be completed to be considered for the new scholarship and Deans’ Honour List; the same credit may not be used twice for consideration.
- The student must be continuing at Carleton in their undergraduate degree program.
Note: Since the income from funds may vary from year to year, the values shown for scholarships, awards and bursaries may change.