|Degrees:||B.A. (Simon Fraser University), M.A., Ph.D. (University of Toronto)|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 8036|
|Office:||1904 Dunton Tower|
- contemporary literature and culture, cultural and social theory, sociology of culture, creative industries and cultural policy, publishing studies, Marxism and communism
- my current SSHRC-funded project, “The Future Literary,” studies informal and contingent labour and joblessness as conditions for the emergence of new reading/writing cultures
Recent Honours and Awards
- SSHRC Insight Grant, 2019-2024
- Marston LaFrance Research Fellowship, 2017-2018
- SSHRC Insight Grant, 2013-2017
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2010-2013
- Underdevelopment and African Literature: Emerging Forms of Reading. Cambridge University Press, “Element” / Pamphlet, 2020.
- UNESCO and the Fate of the Literary. Stanford University Press, 2019.
- Literature and the Creative Economy. Stanford University Press. 2014.
- Postcolonial Writers and the Global Literary Marketplace. London: Palgrave, 2007; paperback ed. 2011.
Selected Recent Articles
- “The Talented Ms. Calloway.” Los Angeles Review of Books (December 2020): https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-talented-ms-calloway/
- “Aspirational Literary Labour in I May Destroy You.” Blind Field (November 2020): https://blindfieldjournal.com/2020/11/11/aspirational-literary-labor-in-i-may-destroy-you/
- “Romance Work.” Theory and Event2 (April 2019): 451-464.
- “Wageless Life.” Los Angeles Review of Books(October 2019): https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/wageless-life/
- “On the African Literary Hustle.” Blind Field (August 2017): https://blindfieldjournal.com/2017/08/14/on-the-african-literary-hustle/