|Degrees:||B.A. (Simon Fraser University), M.A., Ph.D. (University of Toronto)|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 8036|
|Office:||1904 Dunton Tower|
- contemporary literature and culture
- cultural and social theory
- Marxism and communism
- sociology of culture
- creative industries and cultural policy
- publishing studies
Recent Honours and Awards
- SSHRC Insight Grant, 2019-2024
- Marston LaFrance Research Fellowship, 2017-2018
- SSHRC Insight Grant, 2013-2017
- SSHRC Standard Research Grant, 2010-2013
- Leverhulme Visiting Research Fellowship, Queen Margaret University, Scotland, 2011
- Literature and Underdevelopment. “Minigraph” forthcoming from Cambridge University Press.
- UNESCO and the Fate of the Literary. Stanford University Press, 2019.
- Literature and the Creative Economy. Stanford University Press. 2014.
- Postcolonial Writers and the Global Literary Marketplace. London: Palgrave, 2007; paperback ed. 2011.
Selected Recent Articles
- “Romance Work.” Theory and Event2 (April 2019): 451-464.
- “Wageless Life.” Los Angeles Review of Books(October 2019): https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/wageless-life/
- “Couple Up.” b20 (boundary2 online) (2 June 2017): https://www.boundary2.org/2017/06/sarah-brouillette-couple-up-review-of-family-values-between-neoliberalism-and-the-new-social-conservatism/
- “On the African Literary Hustle.” Blind Field(August 2017): https://blindfieldjournal.com/2017/08/14/on-the-african-literary-hustle/
- “Neoliberal Tools (and Archives).” Co-written with Daniel Allington and David Golumbia. Los Angeles Review of Books (May 2016): https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/neoliberal-tools-archives-political-history-digital-humanities/
- “US-Soviet Antagonism and the ‘Indirect Propaganda’ of Book Schemes in India in the 1950s.” University of Toronto Quarterly4 (Fall 2015): 170-188.
- “UNESCO and the Book in the Developing World.” Representations 127 (Summer 2014): 33-54.
- “Creative Labour and Auteur Authorship: reading Somers Town.” Textual Practice 3 (2009): 829-47.