|Degrees:||PhD (Western), MSc (Imperial College London)|
|Phone:||613-520-2600 x 3101|
|Office:||1312 Dunton Tower|
Paul Mkandawire teaches global human rights and social justice in the Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies. He also teaches in the Institute of African Studies and holds cross-appointment in the Department of Health Sciences. He is Director of the Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies. His research combines disciplinary perspectives from epidemiology, economics and medical geography, and uses both qualitative and quantitative approaches, to answer/ask questions about: (i) global/public health and human rights; (ii) political ecology and geographic spread of infectious diseases; (iii) current and historical responses to pandemic outbreaks; and (iv) science, politics and global health policy.
Carleton University Research Achievement Award 2016
Association of American Geographers Emerging Scholar Award 2016
53. Konkor, I., Mkandawire, P., Antabe, R., Luginaah, I., Husbands, W., Wong, J., … & McIntosh, M. D. (2021). Sexual Debut Among Heterosexual Men of African and Caribbean Descent: Are the Youth Initiating Sex Earlier than the Older Generation? Archives of Sexual Behavior, 1-11.
52. Mkandawire, P., Cochrane, L. & Sadaf, S. (2021). Covid-19 pandemic: lessons from the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Southern Africa. African Geographical Review, 1-8.
51. Etowa, J., Babatunde, S., Hannan, J., Etowa, E. B., Mkandawire, P., Loemba, H., & Phillips, J. C. (2021). Motherhood among Black women living with HIV: A “north-south” comparison of sociocultural and psychological factors. Health Care for Women International, 42(3), 304-322.
50. Konkor, I., Mkandawire, P., Luginaah, I., Husbands, W., Omorodion, F., Wong, J., & Etowa, J. (2021). Access to healthcare services among heterosexual Black men in Ontario, Canada. Journal of HIV/AIDS & Social Services, 20(1), 58-75.
49. Luginaah, N.A., Konkor, I. Lawson, E.S., Mkandawire, P., Husbands, W., Omorodion, F., Etowa, J., Antabe, R., & Wong, J. (2021). Concurrent sexual partnerships and HIV testing among heterosexual Black men in Ontario, Canada: findings from the weSpeak study. Ethnicity & Health, 1-16.
48. Mkandawire, P., Kangmennaang, J. Walker, C., Antabe, R., Killian, A., & Luginaa, I. (2021). Pregnancy intention and gestational age at first antenatal care visit in Lesotho. African Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health 15.1, 1-11.
47. Mbuagbaw, L., Tharao, W., Husbands, W., Nelson, L.E. Aden, M., Arnold, K., Baidoobonso, S. Dabone, C. Dryden, O., Etowa, E., Hamid, J., Jackson-Best, F., Lawson, D., Lofters, K., Luyombya, H., Mbulaheni, T., Mkandawire, P. et al. (2020). A/C study protocol: a cross-sectional study of HIV epidemiology among African, Caribbean and Black people in Ontario. BMJ open 10, 7, e036259.
46. Kansanga, M. M., Mkandawire, P., Kuuire, V., & Luginaah, I. (2020). Agricultural mechanization, environmental degradation and gendered livelihood implications in northern Ghana. Land Degradation & Development 31(11), 1422-1440
45. Brydges, C. & Mkandawire, P. (2020). Perceptions and experiences of inclusive education among parents of children with disabilities in Lagos, Nigeria. Journal of Special Education 24(6), 645-659.
44. Antabe, R., & Mkandawire, P. (2020). HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries. International Encyclopedia of Human Geography. 2nd Edition
43. Etowa, J., Hannan, J., Babatunde, S., Etowa, E. B., Mkandawire, P., & Phillips, J. C. (2020). HIV-Related Stigma Among Black Mothers in Two North American and One African Cities. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 1-10.
42. Konkor, I., Antabe, R., Mkandawire, P. McIntosh, M.D., Lawson, E.S., Husbands,W., Wong, J., & Luginaah. I. (2020). Knowledge of sexual partner’s HIV serostatus and the practice of safer sex among heterosexual men of African descent in London, Ontario. Ethnicity & Health, 1-13.
41. Brydges, C. & Mkandawire, P. (2020). Learning Together: Perceptions and Concerns toward Inclusive Education among parents of children with disabilities in Lagos, Nigeria. International Journal of Inclusive Education 24(6), 645-659.
40. Kyeremeh, E., Arku, G., Mkandawire, P., Cleave, E., & Yusuf, I. (2019). What is success? Examining the concept of successful integration among African immigrants in Canada. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 1-19.
39. Mkandawire, P., MacPherson, K., Madut, K., Atari, O. D., Rishworth, A., & Luginaah, I. (2019). Men’s perceptions of women’s reproductive health in South Sudan. Health & Place, 58, 102157
38. Mkandawire, P., Arku, G., Luginaah, I., & Etowa, J. (2019). Informal transit, socio-spatial exclusion, and changing geographies of HIV/AIDS in urban Malawi. African Journal of AIDS Research, 18(1), 81-88.
37. Mkandawire, P., Atari, O., Kangmennaang, J., Arku, G., Luginaah, I., & Etowa, J. (2019). Pregnancy intention and gestational age at first antenatal care (ANC) visit in Rwanda. Midwifery, 68, 30-38.
36. Kangmennaang, J., Mkandawire, P., & Luginaah, I. (2019). Determinants of risky sexual behaviours among adolescents in Central African Republic, Eswatini and Ghana: evidence from multi-indicator cluster surveys. African Journal of AIDS Research, 18(1), 38-50.
35. Anfaara, F. W., Atuoye, K. N., Mkandawire, P., & Luginaah, I. (2018). Factors associated with voluntary testing for HBV in the Upper West Region of Ghana. Health & place, 54, 85-91.
34. Sowatey, E., Nyantakyi-Frimpong, H., Mkandawire, P., Arku, G., Hussey, L., & Amasaba, A. (2018). Spaces of resilience, ingenuity, and entrepreneurship in informal work in Ghana. International Planning Studies, 1-13.
33. Mkandawire, P. (2018). Vulnerability of orphans to climate change in Malawi. Geoforum 90: 151-158
32. Kangmennaang, J., Mkandawire, P., & Luginaah, I. (2017). Breast cancer screening among women in Namibia: explaining the effect of health insurance coverage and access to information on screening behaviours. Global Health Promotion, 1757975917727017
31. Thogarapalli, N., Mkandawire, P. Kangmennaang, J., Luginaah, I. & Arku, G. (2016). Gestational age at first antenatal visit in Namibia. International journal of public health 61 (9): 1089-1097.
30. Sano, Y., Antabe, R., Atuoye, K., Hussey, L., Bayne, J. Galaa, S., Mkandawire, P. & Luginaah, I. (2016). Persistent misconceptions about HIV transmission among males and females in Malawi. BMC international health and human rights 16(1): 16-25.
29. Mkandawire, P. (2016). Assessing factors associated with HIV testing among youth in Northern Malawi. Global Public Health 12(7) 927-940
28. Rishworth, A. Dixon, J., Luginaah, I., Mkandawire, P. & Prince, C. (2016) “I was on the way to the hospital but delivered in the bush”: Maternal health in Ghana’s Upper West Region in the context of a traditional birth attendant ban. Social Science and Medicine 148: 8-17
27. Kanmennaang, J., Mkandawire, P., & Luginaah, I. (2016). What prevents men aged 40-64 years from prostate cancer screening in Namibia? Journal of Cancer Epidemiology 79:1-9
26. Mkandawire, P. Arku, G. & Atari, O. (2015). “My house is now a hospital”: Housing, health and wellbeing and people living with HIV/AIDS in Northern Malawi. Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved 26: 4, 1246-1264
25. Kuuire, V. Z., Mkandawire, P., Luginaah, I. & Arku, G. (2015). Abandoning land in search of farms: challenges of subsistence migrant farming in Ghana. Agriculture and Human Values,1-14.
24. Kangmennaang, J., Mkandawire, P. & Luginaah, I. (2015). Circumcision status and time to sexual debut among youth in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from six Demographic and Health Surveys. AIDS and Behaviour 1-15
23. Mkandawire, P. (2015). Gestational age at first antenatal care in Malawi. Maternal and Child Health Journal 19(11), 2366-2374
22. Dixon, J., Luginaah, I. & Mkandawire, P. (2015). The National Health Insurance Scheme in Ghana’s Upper West Region: A Gendered Perspective of Insurance Acquisition in a Resource-Poor Setting. Social Science and Medicine 122, 103-112
21. Thogarapalli, N. Mkandawire, P., & Luginaah, I. (2015). Investigating the association between pregnancy intention and insecticide-treated bed net (ITN) use: a cross-sectional study of pregnant women in Rwanda. Journal of Public Health 23(4)241-248
20. Kangmennaang, J., Thogarapalli, N., Mkandawire, P., & Luginaah, I. (2015). Investigating the disparities in cervical cancer screening among Namibian women. Gynecologic Oncology, 138(2), 411-416.
19. Mambulu, F., Mkandawire, P. Luginaah, I. & Dixon, J. (2015). Silence of the Leaders: Alcohol Policymaking in Malawi. African Geographic Review 34, 3: 232-249.
18. Mkandawire, P., Dixon, J., Luginaah, I., Armah, F. & Arku. G. (2014) ‘At-risk by fact of birth: Perceptions and concerns around medical male circumcision for HIV prevention in Malawi. Health, Risk and Society 16(4):295-307
17. Baiden, P. Wendy, D., Arku, G. & Mkandawire, P. (2014). The role of sense of community belonging on unmet health care needs in Ontario, Canada: Findings from the 2012 Canadian Community Health Survey. Journal of Public Health 42(5):467-478
16. Atari, D.O. & Mkandawire, P. (2014). Spatial variation of management of diarrhea in under-fives in Malawi. Health and Place 29:84-94
15. Dixon, J., Luginaah, I. N., & Mkandawire, P. (2014). Gendered Inequalities within Ghana’s National Health Insurance Scheme: Are Poor Women Being Penalized with a Late Renewal Policy? Journal of health care for the poor and underserved 25(3):1005-1020.
14. Mason, S., Mkandawire, P., Dixon, J. & Luginaah, I. (2015). Management challenges of urban biosolids: Narratives around facility siting in rural Ontario. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 58:8, 1363-1383
13. Mkandawire, P., Luginaah, I., Dixon, J., Arku, G. & Armah, F. (2013). Circumcision status and time to first sexual intercourse in Malawi. AIDS Behav 17(6): 2123-2135
12. Taabazuing, M., Arku, G., & Mkandawire, P (2013). Economic development in a changing global economy: what do practitioners think? Urban Research and Practice 8.2 (2015): 145-164
11. Mkandawire, P., Richmond, C., Luginaah, I. Dixon, J. & Tobias, J. (2013). Hepatitis B in Ghana’s Upper West Region: A Hidden Disease In Need of National Policy Attention. Health and Place 23:89-96.
10. Mkandawire, P., Luginaah, I. & Baxter, J. (2013). Growing up an orphan: vulnerability of adolescent girls to HIV infection in Malawi. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 39.1 (2014): 128-139.
9. Kuuire, V., Mkandawire, P. Arku, G. & Luginaah, I. (2013). Abandoning farms in search of food: Food remittance and household food security in Ghana. African Geographical Review 32 (2): 125–139
8. Mkandawire, P., Tenkorang, E. & Luginaah, I. (2013). Orphanhood and time to first sex among adolescents in Malawi. AIDS Behav 17:939-50
7. Bezner-Kerr, R. & Mkandawire, P. (2012). Imaginative geographies of gender and HIV/AIDS in Malawi: Moving beyond Neo-liberalism. GeoJournal 77:459-73
6. Arku, G., Luginaah, I. & Mkandawire, P. (2012). “You Either Pay More Advance Rent or You Move”: Landlord and Tenants Dilemmas in Low-income Housing Market in Accra, Ghana. Urban Studies 49(14):3177-93
5. Armah, F., Luginaah, I. & Mkandawire, P. (2012). Non-occupational health risk assessment from exposure to chemical contaminants in the gold mining environment of Tarkwa, Ghana. Trends in Applied Sciences Research 7:181-95
4. Armah, F., Luginaah, I. & Mkandawire, P. (2012). Ecological health status of the Fosu Lagoon, Southern Ghana II: Environmental and Health Risk Assessment. Journal of Ecosystem and Ecography 2:107
3. Mkandawire, P., Luginaah, I.N. & Tobias, J. (2011). Landscapes of economic deprivation and locally distilled liquor (kachasu): An emerging risk milieu for HIV/AIDS in urban Northern Malawi. Environment and Planning A 43 (10):2384 -98
2. Mkandawire, P., Luginaah, I.N. & Bezner-Kerr, R. (2011). Deadly Divide: HIV/AIDS Policymaking on condoms in Malawi. Policy Sciences 44 (1): 81-102
1. Arku, G, Luginaah, I., Mkandawire, P., Baiden, P. & Asiedu, A. (2011). Housing and health in three contrasting neighbourhoods in Accra, Ghana. Social Science and Medicine 74(11): 1864-72
Andy Kusi-Appiah (doctoral) – Household water security in urban Malawi (current – thesis writing)
Chuk Odenigbo (doctoral) – Political ecology of Covid-19 in Malawi (current – fieldwork stage)
Arthur Hamilton (MA) – Mental disability in India (completed Feb 2020)
Kangha Achang (MA) – The Quest for Self-determination by Anglophones in Southern Cameroons- (completed May 2019)
Katherine MacPherson (MA) – Perceptions of health and wellbeing among South Sudan Canadians in Ottawa (completed Nov 2017)
Asli Mahdi (MA) – Therapeutic places of South Asian women in Ottawa (completed 2015)
Verah Urassa Mdai (MA) – Female Sex Workers and HIV Policy: Culture, Development, and HIV Vulnerability of Disadvantaged Women in Tanzania – (completed 2014)