About the Sexual Violence Policy
As a community, Carleton University supports and is committed to maintaining a positive learning, working and living environment where sexual violence will not be tolerated and is treated with the seriousness it deserves. Carleton acknowledges that individuals who are members of equity-seeking groups who experience intersecting forms of disadvantage based on the protected grounds in the Ontario Human Rights Code may be disproportionately affected by sexual violence and its consequences. The purpose of this Policy is to articulate Carleton University’s commitment to a safe, supportive and healthy campus and to confirm its commitment to provide support to those members directly affected by sexual violence.
This Policy is also intended to:
- Set out the University’s statement of values and commitments to address sexual violence;
- Provide information about supports and services available at Carleton University and in the community;
- Ensure follow-up once a report is made to the University;
- Provide information about the University’s process for responding to and addressing incidents and complaints of sexual violence;
- Meet the University’s obligations under the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Act with respect to sexual violence, sexual harassment, and workplace sexual harassment; and,
- Reinforce and enhance the Carleton University Statement on Conduct and Human Rights and related policies and procedures addressing sexual violence, sexual harassment and workplace sexual harassment.
This Policy applies to all members of the University community (as defined below), whether they are in the University’s learning, living or work environment, on or off campus, or interacting through social or other electronic media. This Policy does not replace or supersede existing collective agreement provisions.
Read the Policy
Carleton’s revised Sexual Violence Policy was passed by the Carleton Board of Governors on April 25, 2019. The Policy can be viewed at: Sexual Violence Policy (pdf).
The Sexual Violence Policy mandates that an annual report is presented to the Board for information.