1. What is OSAP?
  2. Am I Eligible to Receive OSAP?
  3. Full-Time or Part-Time
    1. Notes:
    2. Students with a permanent disability:
    3. Graduate student course loads:
  4. How Much Financial Aid Can I Get?

What is OSAP?

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) is a financial aid program delivered by the governments of Ontario and Canada for post-secondary education students. OSAP provides eligible Ontario students with financial assistance to help pay for their tuition, books, living costs and transportation. It is delivered by the Ontario Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development, and includes both repayable loans, and non-repayable grants and bursaries.

Am I Eligible to Receive OSAP?

To be eligible for OSAP funding, you must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person,
  • Meet Ontario’s provincial residency requirements,
  • Be enrolled in a degree, diploma, or certificate program that is approved for OSAP purposes.

For a detailed explanation of these requirements, please view our OSAP eligibility definitions.

Full-Time or Part-Time

OSAP assistance is available through a full-time program and a part-time program.

To be considered for the full-time student assistance program (Full-time OSAP), you must be taking 60% or more of a full course load. For undergraduate students, this means a minimum course load of 1.5 credits per term. Typically, full-time students take four or five courses per term, but may take as few as three half-credit courses per term and still count as full-time for OSAP purposes.

To be considered for the part-time student assistance program (Part-time OSAP), you must be taking less than 60% of a full course load. For undergraduate students, this means a course load of less than 1.5 credits per term. Typically part-time students take one or two half-credit courses per term.


It is possible for a student to study full-time for one term, and part-time for another. To find out how to apply for OSAP in this situation, contact the Awards Office.

Special Studies students are generally ineligible for OSAP. If you are enrolled as a Special Student contact our office to determine your eligibility for OSAP funding.

Students with a permanent disability:

The minimum full-time course load is relaxed somewhat for students with documented permanent disabilities. This provides you with some flexibility in deciding which assistance program to access.

If you have a documented permanent disability and are registered in more than 1.5 credits per term, apply for Full-time OSAP. If you are registered in 1.0 credits per term, you can apply for either Full-time or Part-time OSAP. To determine which is best, we recommend you speak with a Financial Aid Administrator in the Awards Office. If you are registered in 0.5 credits per term, apply for Part-time OSAP.

Graduate student course loads:

To be eligible for full-time OSAP funding as a graduate student, you must be registered in the full-time stream of your program. Part-time graduate students may apply for part-time OSAP assistance.

If you have a documented permanent disability and intend to complete your graduate studies part-time, please contact the Awards Office for direction and advice on which funding program to proceed with.

How Much Financial Aid Can I Get?

The amount of funding you can receive is determined by weighing three factors: your direct education expenses,  your living costs based on a standard living allowance, and your household’s personal financial situation, including expected financial contributions from your parent(s), guardian(s), or spouse if applicable. A financial need assessment is performed based on information you provide in your application, which is why it is important you complete your application as accurately as you can.

OSAP offers an aid estimator on their website to give you an idea of how much funding you may be entitled to receive.

OSAP: See how much you can get.