Data Science Specialization
Data Science at Carleton is not a stand-alone program. Instead, it is a specialization that can be taken in combination with a participating Master’s degree. Admission to the collaborative Master’s program in Data Science is available to Master’s students admitted in one of the participating Master’s programs.
Did you know?
In Fall 2021, approximately 90 students will be admitted into the Data Science specialization.
How it Works
Students will earn their degree in one of the academic disciplines at Carleton with a specialization in Data Science or a concentration in Business Analytics for the MBA. Students will pursue a thesis, coursework-only, or project option directly related to Data Science, as per their original degree. Business students are also required to complete an internship. Depending on availability, students in other fields may also gain real-world experience through internships.
Admission Requirements for Specialization
- Honours bachelor degree or equivalent
- Be admitted to and maintain current registration in one of the participating Master’s programs. To see the admission requirements for the participating Master’s programs, please visit the respective program department websites. Admissions questions should be directed to the department to which you are applying
- Admission to the collaborative Master’s program in Data Science is competitive and determined at the time of admission into the participating Master’s program
Participating Master’s Programs
- Biology* (thesis)
- Biomedical Engineering* (project or coursework)
- Business (concentration)
- Chemistry (thesis)
- Cognitive Science (thesis)
- Communication (thesis, research essay or coursework)
- Computer Science* (thesis)
- Economics (thesis or coursework)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering* (thesis, project or coursework)
After you have submitted your online application and your application fee has been processed for your application to the participating Master’s program, you will be instructed on how to upload your required documents in Carleton Central. For complete information regarding required documents, please visit the Graduate Admissions website.
Application deadlines vary depending on the program to which you are applying. You must follow the application deadline of the participating Master’s program to which you are applying.
How to Apply
Students wishing to apply to the collaborative Master’s program in Data Science must first create a Carleton 360 account. Once the applicant has chosen their program (see participating programs above), they must select ‘yes’ to the “I am interested in Data Science” question asked in the Program Details portion of the online application. You will then be prompted to indicate your general rationale for applying to the collaborative Master’s program in Data Science, including your academic background, academic interests, and career goals.
The application process for graduate studies at Carleton for all prospective students is the same and must be completed online.
For complete information regarding the application process, please visit the Graduate Admissions website.
If you are admitted to the collaborative Master’s program in Data Science, you will be notified when you receive an offer of admission to the participating Master’s program. You can check your application status in Carleton Central.
For complete and detailed information about the collaborative Master’s program in Data Science, please consult the official Graduate Calendar.