This ‘How can we help?’ sheet aims to help administrative staff answer the following questions:
- Which services does Business Operations provide … ?
- What is the difference between the ‘Business Office’ and ‘Business Operations’ …?
- Who should I call for help with … ?
(Click here for a static PDF version: Business Operations: How can we help?)
We provide financial services and advice to the University community with respect to the processing of financial transactions, including
- guidance related to Financial Services’ policies,
- taxation requirements,
- cash-handing processes, and
- we can do your invoicing.
Location: The ‘Business Office’ is the physical location where you can find us, 301 Robertson Hall
Phone: 613-520-2600, ext. 2494
Business Operations’ Organization Chart
Accounts Payable is responsible for the timely and accurate processing of all non-payroll disbursements made by the University.
Phone: 613-520-2600, ext. 3627
- Get reimbursed for travel: carleton.ca/financialservices/business-operations/accounts-payable/travel/
- Pay an invoice: carleton.ca/financialservices/business-operations/accounts-payable/cheque-requisitions/
- Determine status of a payment to a company, individual or self: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Receive an advance for out of pocket expenses before travelling: carleton.ca/financialservices/business-operations/accounts-payable/travel/
- Pay an independent contractor/outside individual to perform a service: carleton.ca/financialservices/business-operations/accounts-payable/payment-to-a-small-business-or-individual/
- Pay an honorarium: carleton.ca/financialservices/business-operations/accounts-payable/payment-to-a-small-business-or-individual/
Cash and Banking
The Cash Office processes all of the incoming financial transactions for the University (e.g. student payments, grant funding, ancillary sales).
- Guidance for accepting incoming credit card payments/PCI compliance: carleton.ca/facts/payment-card-industry-pci-compliance/
- Provide banking info for incoming electronic payments: email email@example.com
- Review and provide feedback on unit cash handling processes: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support units generating business revenue: email email@example.com
- Provide payment-related support for conference or event planning: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Assist in locating missing incoming payments: email email@example.com
Student Accounts Receivable is responsible for responding to student inquiries related to the payment of fees.
Phone: 613-520-2600, ext. 3636
- Provide advice about payment options: carleton.ca/studentaccounts/fee-payment/payment-methods
- Provide information about financial dates and deadlines for students: carleton.ca/studentaccounts/dates-deadlines/
- Issue student-related tax forms: carleton.ca/studentaccounts/income-tax-forms-students/
- Provide guidance on Employee Tuition Benefit application: email firstname.lastname@example.org
General Accounts Receivable
General Accounts Receivable ensures the timely processing of invoices for services performed by the University community. This service includes the mailing of invoices, collection and deposit of receivables and finally journalizing all pertinent accounting entries for the end user to review on FAST reporting.
- Prepare invoices for services performed for external clients: email general.AR@carleton.ca
- Ensure your revenue is recovered properly: email general.AR@carleton.ca
- Provide guidance on whether taxes are applicable: email general.AR@carleton.ca
- Advise on status of collection of invoices: email general.AR@carleton.ca