Become an Undergraduate TA in the Department of Chemistry
In the Department of Chemistry, undergraduate students with a competitive GPA will be offered Undergraduate Teaching Assistantships (UG-TA). Normally, there are twenty to twenty-two UG-TA positions in each fall and winter term, and four to six positions in the summer term.
A UG-TA is both an award and a real job, and being a UG-TA requires 5 hours per week (65 hours per term)!
How do I qualify?
- 2nd year students with a top 5% GPA in a major in Chemistry, Food Science, or Nanotech
- 3rd year and/or 4th year students with a top 15% GPA in a major in Chemistry, Food Science, or Nanotech
- Obtained a grade of “A” or above in the course/lab to TA.
- Must be well-organized and responsible. If you failed to finish the UG-TA duties on time or had complaints from students, your future UG-TA will be affected.
How can I apply?
Please submit your application in Carleton Central – TA Outside priority. The Department will email you with details if you qualify for UG-TA.
- Guide students in labs
- Mark assignments, tests and enter grades
- Provide feedback to students and address student questions via email
- Hold office hours
- Remuneration at a rate of $24/hour
- Department-issued TA certificate after successfully completing the job for two terms
- Reference letter by lab coordinator after successfully completing the job for two terms
- Experience to add to your resume
- Mandatory and voluntary training opportunities are available through Teaching and Learning Services, or Carleton Central