On-Going Event! Note: this event is currently underway.
Coding for the Humanities: Multiple Integrated Sessions
November 7, 2023 — December 14, 2023
Time: 1:00 PM — 4:00 PM
|Audience:||Current Students, Faculty|
This series of workshops introduces humanities scholars to coding in the humanities. The suite of workshops covers the following topics:
- Creating a static page for cuPortfolio (learning to use the command line and GitHub)
- Python I: Basic coding for text analysis
- Python II: CSV files for literature reviews
- Python III: Error searching, web scraping, and the ethics of open data
Each of these workshops introduces a core topic for those interested in computational methods for the humanities and provides opportunities to apply the ideas and techniques discussed. Attending all sessions is essential as the workshops are scaffolded to ensure that participants can progress from simpler strategies to more sophisticated approaches. For example:
- work with a command line to create a static web page; and
- export a CSV from the Library search engine Omni for a literature review.
Participants must attend an initial “office hours” session to ensure that their device meets the technical requirements of the workshops—no time will be available during the workshops for major technical set-up.
All students and faculty are welcome.
- Setup Windows or Mac system to meet workshop technical requirements.
- Write some basic commands to access files from their desktop/laptop directory.
- Identify the benefits of using Python for certain humanistic research problems.
- Import a CSV from Omni (Library discovery tool) into Python and then use pandas and NLTK to analyze the data in the CSV file.
- Define a legal and ethical process for accessing digital data.
The workshops will run on the following dates and times. These sessions are in person only, with the exception of the technical set up session.
- Room ML252A
- Tuesday, November 7 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Required technical set-up)
- Tuesday, November 14 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 21 1:00 p.m. tp 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 28 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 5 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 12 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 14 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Martha Attridge Bufton, Interdisciplinary Studies Librarian
Chantal Brousseau, MA candidate (History)
Alparsian Ozturk, Business and Government Document Technician
Jennifer Whitney, Digital Initiatives Librarian
Please note: sessions taking place in December do not count toward paid pedagogical training hours.
Research & Analysis; Digital Literacy; Discipline-specific knowledge
REGISTER FOR ALL WORKSHOPS BELOW (registration per workshop not required)
Registration for this workshop is full. If you would like to be placed on the wait list please email email@example.com