Resume & Cover Letter Development
November 16, 2021 at 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM
This workshop introduces participants to the different approaches professionals use to write job documents such as resumes and cover letters. Participants will learn about the various styles of resumes, the key components of cover letters, and the methods used to tailor these job documents depending on the job ad and the targeted organization. Attention will be paid to reading jobs ads effectively, distilling transferable skills, and writing skills statements.
At the end of this workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Identify the resume style that best highlights their skills and experiences
- Develop the ability to format a targeted resume for specific positions and organizations
- Discover how to identify and best market transferable skills
- Dissect a job description by reviewing transferable skills
- Identify the purpose and sections of a cover letter
- Distill and highlight developed skills through a review of past experiences
- Write accomplishment-based job and skill statements for job applications
Please note: All graduate students are welcome. If you are a TA, this session counts toward voluntary paid training hours, provided that you are working as a TA in the term when the training takes place.
Career Management; Communication
PLEASE REGISTER BELOW