Dr. Tepper is a veteran professor of comparative politics and international relations at Carleton University. He regularly provides media commentary at home and abroad on a wide range of topics, providing context and deep background to the news stories of the day. Dr. Tepper’s career in academia and public policy provides the basis for thoughtful analysis on current events, and his lifetime of teaching on-campus and through the public media provides the basis for an engaging, interactive classroom experience.
An internationally recognized scholar, Dr. Tepper provides analysis and policy advice to national and international organizations. He has published widely, headed national professional organizations, received many research awards, and serves on the Boards of Directors of a variety of professional and voluntary associations. He is very active with the Ottawa diplomatic corps, academic seminar milieu, and with national and provincial political circles. Current academic titles include: Distinguished Senior Fellow at the Norman Paterson School of International Affairs; Senior Research Fellow at NPSIA’s Centre for Security and Defence Studies; Research Fellow, Conference of Defence Associations Institute; and Adjunct Research Professor at both Royal Roads University and in his long-time home, the Department of Political Science, Carleton University.
Read what participants have said they enjoyed most about Dr. Tepper’s most recent “Behind the Headlines” series held in the Late Spring 2019 Session:
- Dr. Tepper is really on top of his subject, is very current and encouraged input from class members which added extra interest. This is the second time I’ve taken this series and I would take it again.
- I thoroughly enjoy taking lecture series with Dr. Tepper. Have taken his series before and will take again.
- The topics included may very current events and Dr. Tepper provided many insights that were not easily available by just reading the news.
- Dr. Tepper’s knowledge and his ability to convey the material was superb. I had taken a series with him on the same topic and learned so much. I was delighted to hear that Dr. Tepper will be offering the course again in the Fall…and I will take it again and again if offered. Thanks to the organizers for encouraging Dr. Tepper to offer the series again.
- Broad coverage of significant world issues with deep dives that were very informative. Provided insights and perspectives I would not otherwise encounter. Also provided heads up concerning upcoming events, locally and online.
- The real ‘insight’ behind the headlines. Our (and not just mine) interest spiked every time.
- I was most satisfied with Dr. Tepper who mixes humour into a very serious subject. I also liked the political events he chose to highlight in this very overloaded world of information.
- The lecturer covered a lot of history about other countries. It was thought provoking and made me want to research some of the issues that were covered.
- The in-depth analysis was fascinating. Loved the range of topics, which were so timely and relevant to world events.
- Broad knowledge, analysis of current events, brief summaries of histories of countries in the news, and sense of humour of lecturer.