Audio conferencing is a solution that provides excellent conferencing power for use whenever you need it with minimum user set-up and is provided at a cost of $5/month.
Once registered for the service through ITS Voice Services, simply use your assigned conference bridge number at any time, the moment you dial into the system and enter your bridge number, conferencing can begin. You are able to control access and manage your conference call through the phone or a web interface. To register for this service, send a request to the ITS Service Desk.
ITS Voice Services provides an Audio and Web Conferencing (AWC) solution at no cost to all Faculty and Staff. This application will require a Windows PC to run the desktop client. Contact ITS Voices Services for more details.
AWC combines the benefits of a feature-rich audio conferencing solution with web conferencing facilities enabling users to enhance a conference call or meeting through the use of shared documents, presentations, chat and video. The benefits of AWC include improved control and management or intellectual property. External participants will pay standard call charges if long distance calling is required to dial into the audio conferencing bridge.
- Better Communications: High quality audio and video allows the chairperson to share presentations or desktop applications with all participants no matter where they are located.
- Easy Scheduling: The simple, web-based interface lets you send e-mail invitations with dial-in numbers, web links and all the details participants need for effective meetings and can add it to your calendar.
- Conference Recording: Meetings can be recorded for participants who could not attend to allow playback of the entire presentation.
- Lower Costs: Reduce costly and inefficient travel, while avoiding the high costs of outsourced conferencing services.
This service is provided by Telus and is a “pay as you use” offering. Charges involved include; per user minute charges for each participant connected to the audio bridge as well as possible long distance charges.
Telus can also provide facilitator led conferences at an additional cost.
Conference on Demand offers instant, convenient conferencing any time anywhere. It’s like having your own conference room available to you any time.
- Easy to set up – Once registered, you will never have to reserve ports in advance.
- Versatility – Have team meetings on the fly any time – Service is available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.
- For local access to conference calls the rate will be .05 cents per minute per port (participant).
- For toll access to conference calls the rate will be .08 cents per minute (.05 + .03 toll charges).
- TELUS offers free local calling access points in the following 6 cities;
- Ottawa – Montreal – Toronto – Edmonton – Calgary – Vancouver, plus a Toll Free number. Long distance charges apply only for participants calling from outside the local calling area of these six cities or from international locations.
How does it Work?
Let’s assume I have set up a conference on demand call using my Carleton account, thus using the bridge in Ottawa. The meeting has participants located in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto. Each participant would dial their local Telus access number provided each city, enter the meeting participation code and join the conference. No long distance charges would be incurred for any of these participants, the only cost would be $0.05/participant/minute for the bridge.
If callers are outside local calling for these 6 cities or calling internationally, they have two options:
- Use the toll free line and the long distance ($0.03/minute) is added to the conference cost of the chairperson, or
- Participants can call the nearest city and cover their own long distance costs.
How do I sign up?
To take advantage of the new agreement please follow these simple steps:
- Contact Telus’ Conference Solutions group to setup an account. You can do this by calling 1-877-944-6338 or via email, to do so click here (this email will also send a copy to Kristina Desforges our Telus Account Manager).
- Identify yourself as an employee of Carleton University to receive our negotiated rates.
- Provide your proper billing address (department, building and room) as you will be invoiced directly (monthly) providing you with all the detailed breakdown of all associated costs for you conference activity for the previous month.
- You will then be sent a confirmation letter providing you with all of your account details required to use the service.
ITS provides the option of purchasing a Bluetooth Speakerphone (described below). In addition to the cost of the speakerphone, a VoIP 6930/6940 phone must also be purchased. Please click here for all cost information.
To purchase a conference phone, submit a request to the ITS Service Desk and ITS Voice Services will place the order on your behalf and deliver the unit to you upon arrival. Prices are subject to change without notice.
ITS provides quality conference phones for a daily rental fee of $30. They should be reserved at least 48 hours in advance. A service charge of $20 applies for delivery, installation or pick-up of conference phones. No service charge is applied if you pick up and return the phone to ITS Voice Services. A Departmental Administrator must contact the ITS Service Desk to submit a reservation for the phone. For long distance calls, an ITS Long Distance Calling Card must be used, if you do not have a ITS Long Distance Calling Card, you can send a request through the ITS Service Desk, please allow up to 3 days for processing to receive the card.
There are three types of VoIP conference phones:
- Bluetooth Speakerphone A high-quality conferencing speakerphone connected to a VoIP phone using Bluetooth technology. Enjoy crystal clear HD audio, while maximizing productivity during conference calls through this premium, portable, and easy-to-use Bluetooth Speakerphone.
- UC360 VoIP Conference Phone
- High definition audio with 16 built in microphones means up to 4x the sound quality of other units
- Beamforming technology can isolate the main speaker up to 12 ft. away
- Full-duplex speakerphone for natural conversation
- 7-inch full touchscreen display and easy-to-use navigation
- Built-in 4 party conference bridge
- HDMI port available for connecting external display
- UBS port for presentations
- Easy portability on Carleton Campus, requires a network jack
- Comes with 2 wireless microphones, ideal for larger rooms
- VoIP Conference Phone A high quality audio conferencing saucer connected to a VoIP phone that requires a network jack for connectivity. Highly intuitive with easy to use touch features for mute, hold and adding participants. Uses beam-forming technology to focus on the individual speaking while virtually eliminating all ambient room noise and side conversations. Ideal for meeting rooms up to 15’ x 20’ in size.