Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology, Information and Communication Science and Engineering, PhD. Student
Devotha holds a MSc. Degree in Information and Communication Science and Engineering from the NM-AIST and she works as an assistant lecturer and researcher at the same. Currently, she is doing her PhD research expecting to contribute on efforts to improve smallholder dairy farmers’ livelihoods. She has worked on several projects targeting smallholder farmers including PEARL, AgriTT and SAFI at NM-AIST.
Research Interests and societal interests
Using Agent based modeling and machine learning to identify and predict future trends of smallholder farmers and determine areas of interventions to aid policy development.
- Machine Learning and Agent based modeling for agriculture and livestock farming
- Real world modeling
- Data collection and society engagement
Expectations as a QES Scholar during the Mobility Period
- Engage and Learn: Opportunities to attend workshops, conferences and various debates about climate change and societal transformation.
- Share and identify synergies: Share my research interests and the focus of my PhD. I expect to find colleagues of same or similar focus with whom I can work with and improve my work, skills and knowledge.
- Network: Broaden my career network by connecting with other scholars and researchers at Carleton University. I expect to have a network that will help me advance my career by collaborating in research and projects in future.
- Explore: visit various beautiful places of Ottawa.
The QES Project and Advancement of your Career
For my PhD research, the QES project has opened up a great opportunity for me to enrich my study by considering the effects of climate change in smallholder dairy systems. It is something that I did not consider at the beginning and now I see a great value being added in my work. Being a QES scholar gives me keys to create a network that I need to advance my career in machine learning and agent based modeling. I will do my best to sustain the connections that I will receive and use them to climb to higher research ladders.