1. Chosen first names
    1. Updating your chosen first name
  2. Updating your pronouns
  3. Legal name change (at Carleton)
  4. Diplomas
  5. Gender assignment

This page contains information for trans and nonbinary people on how to update their personal information. Faculty and staff can click here for information on best practices for the use of chosen names and pronouns.

Chosen first names

  • The university refers to the name you go by as your chosen first name
  • Carleton recently updated its administrative database software to a new version, which includes support for chosen first names across the entire university. This means that legal names should now only appear on legally binding documents (e.g. tax documents, official transcripts).
  • Diplomas and certificates can also use your chosen name but continue to use legal names by default. See below for more information.

Updating your chosen first name

  • Adding, updating, or removing a chosen first name is very simple and is done through Carleton Central.
  • Under the “Personal Information” heading at the top of the Carleton Central main menu, there is an option listed simply as “Chosen First Name”. Click on this text to submit a chosen first name, and within two business days this name should be implemented across university systems.
  • Once your name change is completed, you are entitled to a free replacement campus card; simply wait 2 business days for the name change to be reflected in the system and then go to the Campus Card office in the UC Galleria to pick up a new card!
  • You will also have to contact the ITS help desk in order to update your MC1 username and Carleton email address. You can do this using this form or by emailing service.desk@carleton.ca.

If a form, university communication, or administrative process that you believe should use your chosen name refers to you by your legal name, please let us know using this feedback form so that we can follow up with the relevant department and rectify the issue.

For more information on chosen first names, visit the Registrar’s Office website here.

Updating your pronouns

Carleton University is dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging for all community members. As part of Carleton University’s EDI Action Plan, a new initiative called the Pronoun Enhancement Project provides staff, students, and faculty the option to indicate their chosen pronouns through Carleton Central in Phase 1. Phase 2, once implemented, will have pronouns will appearing across several applications including online class lists and photo class lists, student verification apps and convocation registration.

To access the Pronoun page, log into Carleton Central (https://central.carleton.ca/) using your MC1 account. Click the ‘Personal Information’ tab and you will see a link to ‘Pronouns’ at the bottom.

Carleton University recognizes the importance of respecting the name and pronouns of all of its community members. Any questions can be sent to equity@carleton.ca.

Legal name change (at Carleton)

  • Once you have legally changed your name, you can notify Carleton of the change using this form. Students should submit this form to the Registrar’s Office, and employees should submit it to Human Resources.
  • You will need to provide a copy of one official document (e.g. Driver’s License or Canadian Study Permit).
  • You cannot update your legal name until you have completed a legal name change process. Information on how to change your name as an adult in Ontario can be found here.


  • You can also choose to have your chosen name listed on your diploma. To request this, fill out the third section of this form. Any questions about this change can be directed to the Registrar’s Office (registrar@carleton.ca)
    • No documentation is required to have your chosen name listed on your diploma, but you may receive a confirmation email from the Registrar’s Office.
    • The deadlines to change your name on your diploma are October 1 for Fall graduation, February 1 for Winter graduation, and May 1 for Spring graduation.
  • If you have changed your legal name since graduating from Carleton, you can request a replacement diploma here.

Gender assignment

  • Currently, your Carleton profile can contain one of the following four gender markers:
    • Male
    • Female
    • Other
    • Prefer not to report
  • In order to change your gender assignment, fill out the second section of this form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office via email (registrar@carleton.ca). No documentation is needed to change your gender assignment.
  • As part of the EDI Action Plan, work is underway to modernize the gender information Carleton collects and stores. Any questions or concerns can be sent to transhub@carleton.ca.