Getting to know your colleagues. Are there opportunities for further partnerships?
Join us for a day-long retreat/workshop for members of the Institute for Data Science and researchers from all faculties and the library whose interests encompass data science and analytics!
- When: April 19, 2016
- Time: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Location: Dunton Tower
- Room: 2017
- Cost: Free
- Intended Audience: Staff/Faculty
- Event contact: Kathryn Elliott
- Email contact: email@example.com
- Phone contact: 613-520-2600 ext. 3244
Working with data? This workshop is for you!
It is estimated that over 100 Carleton researchers are working on projects that involve data science and analytics. Browse the list of faculty who are already participating members of Carleton’s Institute for Data Science here.
On April 19th the Institute for Data Science will host a workshop structured to facilitate an understanding of the breadth of Carleton research in this interdisciplinary domain, and to enable our researchers to intermingle with the idea of exploring possible deeper collaborations.
What you can expect…
The day will commence with each participant presenting their research needs and challenges as part of a datablitz. This will aid in breaking the ice and getting to know the community.
The afternoon session will follow an un-conference/open space workshop format whereby the agenda is inspired by the datablitz exchange. In this case, individuals and/or groups decide to initiate a discussion on a topic discussed/inspired by the datablitz and then claim a time and a space for that to occur by filling up a blank agenda grid.
Un-conferences typically feature open discussions rather than having a single speaker at the front of the room giving a talk, although any format is permitted. This form of work-shopping has proven particularly useful when the attendees have a high level of expertise or knowledge in a domain and the experts come from multidisciplinary backgrounds as is the case with the Data Science Institute. Our goal here will be to exchange methods to further our research and other activities in the data science and analytics space.
The day will end with a plenary session and a networking reception. A detailed program will be available soon.
And, of course, there will be food. Your registration in this workshop entitles you to complimentary coffee/tea and treats when you arrive, a buffet lunch served on site, and two drink tickets during the reception.
Registration is a two-step process:
- Fill out and submit the Big Data Workshop form below.
- Download the slide template for the datablitz. Input your information as answers to each question, and then feel free to jazz up your slide as you like! You may choose to add a photo, make changes to the colour/font, and arrange your information as you see fit. Once finished, upload your slide at the following link: http://carleton.ca/cuids/events/bigdataworkshop/datablitz-presentation-upload/. Your slide will be displayed for a maximum of three minutes during the morning datablitz.
PLEASE NOTE: You must submit a slide by Monday, April 18 to finalize your registration. Please notify us if you are unable to be present during the morning of the event.
We look forward to having you join us on April 19th!
*Registration has now closed.