- I would like a OneDrive « group »
While a OneDrive user can’t directly create an “Office 365 group”, a Teams site owner can:
- Sign up for the Teams pilot: http://Carleton.ca/teams
- When your Teams site is created, a corresponding Office 365 group is created.
- As the Teams site owner, you can add/remove staff/faculty/students as you choose.
Your Teams site members,
- …will have multiple file repositories (one for each channel you choose to create within your TeamSite);
- …can see these Teams site file repositories, along with any shared OneDrive folders, here:
exchange.carleton.ca → click on the waffle iron icon → look in the lefthand navigation column (widen browser window if not visible)
- …or can bookmark this link to see them:
onedrive.live.com/about/en-ca/signin → look in the lefthand navigation column (widen browser window if not visible)
Your Teams site members will also have the ability, under the Teams site’s Conversations tab, to email the entire team or just individual members whenever there are file additions or changes, by prefacing their conversation entries with @teamsitename or @membername1, @membername2.
- I have run out of space on my OneDrive account
If you require more space for your OneDrive account, contact the ITS Service Desk, to open a ticket requesting additional space.
- I want to share files with someone outside Carleton
Currently OneDrive shared folders require a MyOneCarleton (MC1) account.
Faculty can have their departmental administrator request an affiliate MC1 account for academics at other institutions, to facilitate access to shared OneDrive folders. Contact ITS Service Desk
- Is OneDrive for Business available for Mac?
Mac version of OneDrive
The OneDrive app is available:
- from the Mac App Store: itunes.apple.com/ca/app/onedrive/id823766827; or
- directly from Microsoft. More: support.office.com/en-gb/article/Get-started-with-the-new-OneDrive-sync-client-on-Mac-OS-X…
After downloading the app, login using your MC1 firstname.lastname@example.org (staff/faculty) or email@example.com (student)
Your OneDrive for Business files will be sync’d to the local folder “OneDrive – Carleton University“, located in your home directory.
Related: Video: Using the OneDrive app
- How do I transfer your DropBox, Google Docs files to OneDrive
Via web browser:
- The Chrome browser (PC, Mac) supports upload a entire folder (as opposed to files) to your OneDrive account at exchange.carleton.ca (faculty/staff) or login.microsoftonline.com (students/faculty/staff).
Via OneDrive app:
- If you install and configure the OneDrive app on your computer, you can just drag folders into the OneDrive local folder on your computer, to synchronize these files with your OneDrive for Business cloud storage.
- Video – Using the OneDrive App
- Related: 3 ways to access OneDrive
- I Can’t find the OneDrive icon in the Web interface
You must first enable OneDrive for Business before using:
- Accepting this offer from Microsoft for a downloadable desktop MS Office suite, also enables your OneDrive license: carleton.ca/its/ms-offer-faculty
- Note: you need not actually download the MS desktop Office suite to enable your OneDrive license—your Carleton workstation already has MS Office installed as part of the standard staff/faculty PC image.
- Accepting this offer from Microsoft for a downloadable desktop MS Office suite, also enables your OneDrive license: carleton.ca/its/ms-offer-students
- I have two apps, OneDrive and OneDrive for Business, on my PC
The Carleton-provided Windows10 image is the recommended and supported way to access the OneDrive sync engine.
It ships with the OneDrive app. Not with the OneDrive for Business app. The OneDrive app is Microsoft’s latest and is able to connect simultaneously to your Carleton OneDrive for Business account, as well as to any personal OneDrive account you may have.
- Can’t log into OneDrive for Business?
Using the OneDrive App:
- Are you using the ITS Windows 10 image? The OneDrive app included with it has been specially chosen to work with both OneDrive for Business, as well as any personal OneDrive account you may have.
- Login using your full Carleton email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (staff/faculty) or email@example.com (student). There is no “.” in your accountname.
Using MS Office 2016:
- You must be using MS Office 2016, and you must login with your full Carleton email address: firstname.lastname@example.org (staff/faculty) or email@example.com (student). There is no “.” in your accountname.
- But I already use a (Personal) OneDrive account
- OneDrive for Business is separate from any personal OneDrive account you may have, simplifying the separation of your Carleton and your personal files.
- OneDrive for Business comes with its own storage, not impacting any personal OneDrive storage you may have.
- OneDrive for Business uses your existing Carleton MC1 password — no need for yet another password.
Was this page helpful?
Posted in Troubleshooting
Share: Twitter, Facebook
Short URL: https://carleton.ca/its/onedrive/?p=161