The Post-Baccalaureate Diploma (PBD or “Post-Bac”) in Economics is designed for:
- people who have already completed an undergraduate degree in another discipline and would like a rigorous and structured introduction to economics;
- those with a degree from outside Canada, whether in economics or another discipline, who are looking for a one-year, recognized, Canadian qualification in economics;
- anyone who would like additional preparation for graduate education in economics.
The PBD in Economics provides:
- eight months of intensive training in economic theory, econometric methods, and applied economics;
- English-language training for students who are not yet fluent in English;
- a structured and clearly defined course of study.
How to apply:
- Canadians should apply through the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC);
- non-Canadians should apply via Carleton’s “International Applicants” page.
All applicants to the M.A. in Economics are considered automatically for the Post-Bac in Economics. Those who are not sure for which program they are best qualified are advised to apply for the master’s program.
The PBD application deadline is April 1 for international applicants and June 1 for all other external September-entry applicants. Individuals enrolled currently in a degree or certificate program at Carleton who wish to transfer to the PBD should do so via Carleton’s “Internal Applicants” page by June 15. All applicants who wish to be considered for both the PBD and the master’s program should apply by February 1. As space in the PBD is limited, those interested in the program are encouraged to apply early.
The normal admission requirement is an overall average of B+ (9.00 grade points out of a maximum of 12.00) or higher over the two most recent years of study. Applicants who have not studied for at least three years in English must present evidence of English-language proficiency as described under the “Language Requirement” section of the Post-Bac Handbook 2023-2024. Students who maintain an average of B+ or higher during their PBD studies are given strong consideration for admission to the Carleton University M.A in Economics.
The sequencing of courses normally allows post-bac students who begin in September to complete their program by the following May.
|Program handbook:||Post-Bac Handbook 2023-2024|
|FAQ:||Prospective graduate students|
|Post-bac inquiries:||Renée Lortie, Graduate Administrator|