The Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) provides wage subsidies to eligible private sector and not-for-profit employers to assist them with the cost of hiring students.
- up to 50% of the wage cost for the placement (up to a maximum of $5,000 per placement) per student OR
- up to 70% (up to a maximum of $7,000 per placement)for under-represented students including first-year students, women in STEM, indigenous students, persons with disabilities and newcomers
- Employers based in Ontario and Quebec who hire a co-op student for a 16 week, full-time work term can also qualify for a tax credit of up to $3,000 as part of the Co-operative Education Tax Credit.
General eligibility requirements
- Employers can now hire students in all programs including Science, Technology, Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Business, Arts, and Public Affairs.
- Students must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Positions must be net new to qualify for SWPP funding (i.e. positions over and above what employers hired last year).
- Private sector and Not-for-profit organizations are eligible; municipal, provincial and federal government employers are not eligible.
Delivery Partners and How to Apply
- There are a total of 9 delivery partner organizations representing target industry sectors. The delivery partners are responsible for managing the approval and distribution of the wage subsidies.
- Carleton’s Co-operative Education office at Carleton University is working with delivery partners and employers to facilitate student recruitment for these placements.
Learn more about each delivery partner’s programs, eligibility requirements and application process.
- Information and Communications Technology Council (ICTC) – WIL Digital Program (https://wil-digital.fluidreview.com/)
- Information Technology Association of Canada (ITAC) – Career Ready Program https://itactalent.ca/our-programs/work-integrated-learning/
- Canadian Council for Aviation and Aerospace (CCAA) https://www.avaerocouncil.ca/en/student-work-placement-program-swpp
- BioTalent Canada https://www.biotalent.ca/programs/student-work-placement-program/
- ECO Canada https://www.eco.ca/employment-programs/student-placement/
- Electricity Human Resources Canada (EHRC) – Empowering Futures https://electricityhr.ca/empowering-futures/
- Mining Industry Human Resources Council https://www.mihr.ca/careers/gearing-up
- Toronto Finance International – Aspire https://www.aspirefs.ca/
- Venture for Canada – Internship Program https://ventureforcanada.ca/programs/internship