Need Help with Invoicing?
Hi, I am Tansley Mackan, the Acting Collections Administrator in General Accounts Receivable. I hope that you find these invoicing-related tips helpful.
Did you know?
General Account Receivable, part of Financial Service’ Business Operations unit, prepares invoices for services performed by the university community for external parties.
General Account Receivable is usually referred to by its acronym, GAR.
Let’s use an example to illustrate what this means
The University of Big Learning (i.e. an external party) contracts the Community Training Developer and Coordinator (i.e. a Carleton employee) to create eLearning.
The Community Training Developer and Coordinator would like her department to receive compensation quickly, save time and avoid potential hassle by requesting that GAR take care of the invoicing (i.e. making sure that the University of Big Learning pays Carleton University for her time).
Here’s how it works …
- YOU initiate the request by filling out an invoice requisition form. We’ve heard your feedback and have improved this form! Read next week’s tip to find out how.
- YOU email the completed form to General.AR@carleton.ca.
- GAR reviews the completed form to ensure that it has been filled out correctly (read next week’s tip to find out more) and will create your invoice in FAST. A copy of the invoice will be sent to you for your records.
- Once the invoice has been created, funds will be automatically transferred to the revenue FOAPAL that you specified on the invoice requisition form. This typically takes 2 to 3 business days.
- GAR takes care of everything else, including mailing invoices, and the collection and deposit of receivables (e.g. cheque from the University of Big Learning).
- GAR will send you a copy for your records
Still not sure why you’d get GAR to invoice instead of doing it yourself?
- Get paid faster. Your department will receive payment for services 2 to 3 days after you have emailed the invoice requisition form to GAR. This is typically much faster than can be expected when invoicing external parties yourself.
- Save time and avoid potential hassle. Once you have completed and emailed the invoice requisition form to GAR (see step 2), GAR takes care of everything else.
One very important thing to remember …
In this process you receive payment for your services directly from GAR (step 4 above). If the external party (e.g. University of Big Learning) sends you a cheque for services rendered, the cheque MUST to be forwarded to 301 Robertson, Cash Office. This is because you have already received payment from GAR.
Where to find out more
If you’d like to find out more, call extension 8610 or email General.AR@carleton.ca.