Dr. Xuan Thuy Nguyen is currently looking for a Research Assistant for her latest research project titled The Learning with and from the Global South: Opportunities for Engaging Girls and Young Women with Disabilities Across Southern Spaces (ENGAGE). The job description is posted below.
Research Assistant (RA) Position
The Learning with and from the Global South: Opportunities for Engaging Girls and Young Women with Disabilities Across Southern Spaces (ENGAGE) project invites applications for 1 Research Assistant at Carleton University in Canada. Funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (2021-24), ENGAGE aims to create decolonial spaces for young women and girls with disabilities in the global South to develop their knowledge of leadership and foster their inclusion.
ENGAGE examines how girls and young women with disabilities in the global South can engage in transnational and local spaces and networks to become young leaders in their communities. Specifically, this project has five Research Objectives:
1) CREATE decolonial and participatory spaces for girls and young women with disabilities in the global South to develop knowledge on leadership and activism;
2) ENGAGE these women and girls in transnational and local platforms to shape their activist spaces and agendas based on their perspectives and experiences;
3) MOBILIZE these knowledge networks across advocacy organizations, universities, and communities in the global South to foster solidary and collective social action;
4) ESTABLISH sustainable relationships with global and local stakeholders and build potential for transnational activism that engages young women and girls with disabilities across the global North and South.
5) BUILD future partnerships with disabled girls and women and their Disabled Persons’ Organizations (DPOs) to foster their activism for inclusion and social change across the global North and South.
We enthusiastically invite applications for one Research Assistant (RA) position at Carleton University to assist the Project Director in all phases of the research process. The successful candidate will be a graduate student enrolled in a PhD or MA program at Carleton University. As an RA, you will have the opportunity to work with an international team with an interdisciplinary focus. You will work directly with the Project Director, Professor Xuan Thuy Nguyen, and other Research Assistants. You will be provided with necessary training to successfully conduct your research and coordinating tasks.
The RA will be responsible for assisting the Project Director in all phases of the research process. You will report your tasks directly to Dr. Nguyen. Major responsibilities include: developing training guides; fieldwork, data collection and management; and preparing articles for publications.
Specific responsibilities of the research assistant are described below:
- Assisting the Project Director in developing training materials.
- Assisting the Project Director in conducting literature review, data collection, data analysis, and data management.
- Assisting the team in administrative and academic tasks, such as financial reporting.
- Assisting the team in preparing manuscripts for publications, where applicable.
- Assisting in coordinating activities with global and local partners, when required.
- Knowledge on critical disability studies, women’s and gender studies, and/or post-colonial and decolonial studies.
- Good qualitative research skills. Basic knowledge of Nvivo software will be considered an asset.
- Interest in and/or experience organizing research activities in coordination with an international team.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently to fulfill assigned tasks on time.
- Experience working with women and girls with disabilities in the global South is an asset.
The total number of hours is approximately 10 hours/week, within 36 weeks (or 9 months/year), starting on Sept 15th, 2021, and ends on August 31st, 2022, with a possibility of renewal. Salary will be paid in accordance with your experience and degree. Probationary period is applied for the first two months.
This job will be primarily online. However, you are expected to meet with the Project Director and the research team on a regular basis via zoom or face-to-face. You may also be required to meet with the project’s partners for networking and planning purposes. The successful candidate can arrange his/her time appropriately.
Applications will be accepted until August 31st, 2021. The screening process will start on September 1st, 2021.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and their résumé in English to Dr. Xuan Thuy Nguyen, Associate Professor, Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies & the Pauline Jewett Institute of Women’s and Gender Studies, Carleton University, at email@example.com. Please state “APPLICATION – ENGAGE_RA POSITION” in the subject line of the email.