What is the difference between the Carleton Leader and the Supervisory Development Series?
Both the Carleton Leader and the Supervisory Development Series are initiatives of Carleton University. They are two different opportunities for faculty and staff to grow and develop at Carleton. Here’s a quick breakdown of the goals of each initiative:
Who should participate?
- The Supervisory Development Series is aimed at professional services staff who are supervisors, or who are aspiring to be a supervisor.
- The Carleton Leader is open to all faculty and staff who are interested in enhancing their leadership skills. The Carleton Leader recognizes that leadership exists throughout the university; at all levels, in all areas.
What will I learn?
- The Supervisory Development Series touches on a lot of topics, including: team building and motivation, mental health wellness, service excellence, organizational excellence, business writing, presentation skills, healthy conversations, finance and an introduction to leadership. As you can see there is a mix of applied skills as well as reflective skills that scratch the surface of what it means to be a supervisor. Participants of the Supervisory Development Series will make the journey through 10 days (over 8 months) of practical, relevant and reflective learning to prepare themselves for supervisory opportunities at Carleton.
- The Carleton Leader is designed to engage leaders and emerging leaders from Carleton’s academic and professional services groups in an interactive and reflective process. With this approach and the core philosophy of collaborative leadership practices, what we will develop is a community of leaders who can make a significant contribution to Carleton’s success. There will be practical leadership insights, there will be a range of models of success presented that could be implemented, and there will be individual and collective reflections towards practical actions.
How do I get involved?
- The Supervisory Development Series is a self-nomination process (with a manager recommendation).
- Those interested in participating in the Carleton Leader can be nominated by their supervisor/ manager for streams 1 & 2. Candidates are also permitted to self-nominate provided they have support from their supervisor/manager. Nomination to level 3 is by Carleton’s senior leaders only.
For more information: