M.Sc. Northern Studies (5.0 credits)
The following courses are required.
- NRTH 5008 [0.0] Introductory Northern Field Course
- NRTH 5000 [1.0] Core Seminar: Northern Environments, Northern Societies, Northern Policy
- NRTH 5001 [1.0] Core Seminar: Northern and Arctic Issues
- NRTH 5901 [0.5] Practicum in Northern Studies
- NRTH 5905 [0.5] Comprehensive Examination
- NRTH 5009 [0.5] Field Course in Canada’s North
- GEOG 5001 [0.5] Modeling Environmental Systems
In addition, 1.0 credit must be chosen from the following list, or as approved by the Program Supervisor. Courses listed on the roster of M.A. electives may be approved. In addition, students may take other courses at Carleton or the University of Ottawa for credit towards the degree, after obtaining permission and completing the appropriate form. The key requirement for approval of these courses will be their relevance to Northern Studies or the professional development of the student. At least one of the elective courses should be relevant to Northern Studies and from the natural sciences.
- ERTH 5309 [0.5] Glacial and Periglacial Geology
- GEOG 4013 [0.5] Cold Region Hydrology
- GEOG 4017 [0.5] Global Biogeochemical Cycles
- GEOG 4108 [0.5] Permafrost
- GEOG 5303 [0.5] Geocryology
- GEOG 5803 [0.5] Seminar in Geomatics
- GEOG 5804 [0.5] Geographic Information Systems
Applicants may request advanced standing for GEOG 5001 and the elective courses.